Re: [John Muir Trail] Completed SOBO solo on Aug 29, 2013

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2013
      Spot's Facebook page talks about a server outage that indicates the problem goes back to Amazon's cloud service and affected other vendors too.

      _

      On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:
      Lots of interesting info about spot's server outage here.

      Note. The outage did not affect SOS Spot signals due to how they are routed. That is good news.

      Outage was due to a bad software upgrade. I imagine there will be procedure changes put in place to avoid this happening again.

      Sent from my iPhone
      See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
      http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

      On Sep 4, 2013, at 11:56 PM, <krishna9012@...> wrote:

       Roleigh:

      yes I was using fms from the past 4 years and last year got the spot 2 model and never had this issue.  There were 2 days when no emails were sent by the spot servers which caused lots of agony to the family.  The rest seem to be ok.  I just downloaded my 30 day kml file containing some of the messages I sent.  Will be sharing in a separate email incl photos.

      Krishna

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Did you have the Spot 2 Messenger or an older model?  Did you let it transmit for 20 minutes each time (at the end of a successful transmit, it will be down to 2 lights blinking not 3 (which is the case at the start of the transmit)).

      If the answer is yes to both, I'd definitely complain to Spot.

      Roleigh

      _

      On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM, <krishna9012@...> wrote:

      It took 24 days with one 0 mile day at Kearsarge, 4 resupplies (TM, RM, MTR and Kearsarge). Total mileage: 210 + 8 + 6 (stayed at Kearsarge first lake for resupply) for a total of 224 miles in 24 days. Rains and thunderstorms for 3 days started when coming up on Muir Pass (and actually stayed in Muir hut for one night with Ken, Erin and Nat).

      Started from HI on Aug 7th and second day was a disaster as I missed JMT along with another older gentleman, Dale and went up clouds rest and came down on Tenaya lake trail.  Finally found a fork that goes down to Sunrise Lakes camp and finally caught up with JMT by late evening on Aug 8!

      My two friends, Dave and Vikas brought me resupply at Kearsarge and joined me on the last 4 days.

      The find-me-spot messages did not go thru for 3 days and I was on missing person list at the WP hostel in Lone Pine for a few hours.  My family was in all distress and agony for those 2 days and find-me-spot did not have any response for their queries!  I will call them up tomorrow as I could not even down load the kml file of my trip!

      More later after I upload my pics to flickr.

      Thanks for all the advice and tips from all of you on the chat room!

      Krishna

    • krishna9012
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2013

        Gail:

        Ooops!  I mistook the JMT Ken with Yahoo groups Ken.  He did take my email address and said would send me link to his photos!  Please do send him my links if you have time and would expect his email soon.

        Again these two did so much to ease my anxiety about the storm front, I have no words to thank them!  Its a deep feeling of gratitude for their timely friendship!

        Krishna

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Krishna, the Ken that you met is a different Ken from the one posting on this site (the Ken you met isn't a member of this forum, though of course he should be :-).  I'll send him the message you meant for him (or write to me off board if you want and I'll send you his email address).

        (A pound of quinoa?)

        Gail

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Gail:

        Thanks! Yes, we also talked about you and Aaron (sry I keep calling him Erwin!) at Woodscreek resupply was talking about a lb of quinea (flour?) meant for you when I left him.  It was fun and very very soul searching hike in the world's best landscapes!

        Separately sharing my pics in another email.

        Krishna

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Congratulations, Krishna!  Fantastic and inspirational.  Ken (who first ran into you at Reds) and Aaron are my friends.  They stayed at my house Friday on their way home.  They talked a lot about you and about that night at Muir Hut :-).

        According to user comments on Spot's FB page, Spot had a system-wide outage from Aug. 23 to 25th and didn't bother to tell even their Customer Service reps that that was going on.

        Gail

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        But you made it Krishna, you are one of the few people in the world that have completed the JMT. :-)

        And mostly solo as well ! Wow! Fantastic, well done!

        Ken.
      • forgetwho
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2013

          I've sent them.  He says he does have your email address and is still getting stuff sorted out, that he will get to his "2000 photos" eventually :-).

          I've been over Muir Pass twice (in the distant past).  I would not have wanted to be in Muir Hut during a thunderstorm, and Aaron said he was really nervous.  Ken, for some reason, wasn't, lol.

          I looked at your photos last night and really enjoyed them.  I'm planning to try again next year - this time to do just a section, from Agnew Meadows (where I bailed this year) to Bishop Pass.

          Gail