Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Women's Flash 65 Bargain

  • Rick Martyn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
      I think the capacities got messed up in the last post.

      On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

      This might be clearer:

      Comparisons:

      Make: Bear Vault

      Capacity: 500 cu ins.

      Weight: 2lbs 9oz

      Cost: $70 - buy in store

      Make: Bearikade

      Capacity: 700 cu ins.

      Weight: 2lbs 4oz

      Cost: $300 - buy on-line

    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
          Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

          Make: Bear Vault

          > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
          >
          > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
          >
          > Cost: $70 - buy in store
          >
          > Make: Bearikade
          >
          > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
          >
          > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
          >
          > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

          Thanks Rick.
        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013

            Or you can rent the Bearikade for the JMT thru trip for around $55

            Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

            Make: Bear Vault

            > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
            >
            > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
            >
            > Cost: $70 - buy in store
            >
            > Make: Bearikade
            >
            > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
            >
            > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
            >
            > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

            Thanks Rick.

          • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
              I prefer to own my bear canister to use for other trips. I have rented the bearikade in the past, nothing wrong with it, but as I say, it's nice to own it - particularly with having it around during the winter at home so you can practice packing smaller.

              The thing about a larger capacity though, it's like the old adage: "If you build it, they will come". The larger the bear canister, the more you will put in it. And the more you carry, the heavier it will be, you can very quickly negate the weight savings of the Bearikade by loading it with an extra 2-3lbs of food that you really don't need.

              It's best to work on ways to reduce the need to carry food than to carry more just in case you might need it.

              Ken.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

              > Or you can rent the Bearikade for the JMT thru trip for around $55
            • oshnnsun
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013

                 Thanks Ken.  I just picked one up New/never used but owner wanted to get rid of it for $50.  Have started thinking of how to purge and pack (truly needed) items.  Almost like a game!

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <kenjessett@...> wrote:

                This one:

                http://www.rei.com/product/768902/bearvault-bv500-food-container

                Comparisons:

                Make Capacity Weight Price

                Bear Vault 500 700 2lbs 9oz $70

                Berikade 900 2lbs 4oz $300

                These are your main choices. If you pack diligently, you can get 7 days of food in the Bear Vault. It worked for me.

                Ken.