Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Re: Women's Flash 65 Bargain

  • yaq32@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3 7:07 PM
      Bearikaide saves a lot of weight!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 3, 2013, at 6:38 PM, <OshnNsun@...> wrote:

      Which BearVault did you use on your trip?

      Thanks.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I used a Flash 65 (men's version?) for my JMT hike a few weeks ago, I would enthusiastically recommend it. At 3 lbs 2 oz it is also very light.

      It also works well with a Bear Vault which I laid horizontally at the bottom of the pack.

      I've just acquired a Flash 62 (the heir to the 65) which I expect will be just as good.

      Ken.

    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4 5:45 AM
        This one:

        http://www.rei.com/product/768902/bearvault-bv500-food-container

        Comparisons:

        Make Capacity Weight Price

        Bear Vault 500 700 2lbs 9oz $70

        Berikade 900 2lbs 4oz $300

        These are your main choices. If you pack diligently, you can get 7 days of food in the Bear Vault. It worked for me.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4 6:46 AM
          This might be clearer:

          Comparisons:

          Make: Bear Vault

          Capacity: 500 cu ins.

          Weight: 2lbs 9oz

          Cost: $70 - buy in store

          Make: Bearikade

          Capacity: 700 cu ins.

          Weight: 2lbs 4oz

          Cost: $300 - buy on-line
        • Rick Martyn
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4 8:18 AM
            I think the capacities got messed up in the last post.

            On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

            This might be clearer:

            Comparisons:

            Make: Bear Vault

            Capacity: 500 cu ins.

            Weight: 2lbs 9oz

            Cost: $70 - buy in store

            Make: Bearikade

            Capacity: 700 cu ins.

            Weight: 2lbs 4oz

            Cost: $300 - buy on-line

          • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4 8:55 AM

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4 9:42 AM
                Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

                Make: Bear Vault

                > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
                >
                > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
                >
                > Cost: $70 - buy in store
                >
                > Make: Bearikade
                >
                > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
                >
                > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
                >
                > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

                Thanks Rick.
              • Joe MacLeish
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4 11:34 AM

                  Or you can rent the Bearikade for the JMT thru trip for around $55

                  Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

                  Make: Bear Vault

                  > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
                  >
                  > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
                  >
                  > Cost: $70 - buy in store
                  >
                  > Make: Bearikade
                  >
                  > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
                  >
                  > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
                  >
                  > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

                  Thanks Rick.

                • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4 12:08 PM
                    I prefer to own my bear canister to use for other trips. I have rented the bearikade in the past, nothing wrong with it, but as I say, it's nice to own it - particularly with having it around during the winter at home so you can practice packing smaller.

                    The thing about a larger capacity though, it's like the old adage: "If you build it, they will come". The larger the bear canister, the more you will put in it. And the more you carry, the heavier it will be, you can very quickly negate the weight savings of the Bearikade by loading it with an extra 2-3lbs of food that you really don't need.

                    It's best to work on ways to reduce the need to carry food than to carry more just in case you might need it.

                    Ken.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                    > Or you can rent the Bearikade for the JMT thru trip for around $55
                  • oshnnsun