How to get back to Yosemite with 120 closed

  • robin beck
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013
      Hey folks, I just finished my hike a couple days ago and arrived in Lone Pine without any good plan for getting back to Yosemite Valley (where our car was parked). I checked this group to look and see if anyone had posted suggestions but didn't see anything so I thought I'd post in order to help out any other hikers arriving in Lone Pine over this weekend while 120 is closed.

      There were about 8 of us in town all trying to figure out what to do, here's what we landed on:

      We ended up taking the eastern sierra shuttle to Lee Vining, hitchhiking to Tuolomne Meadow, taking the hiker shuttle to Olmsted Point and hiking 9.6 miles down the Snow Creek trail to the valley.

      We considered other options but I think this was the fastest way to go. A few key things to know:

      --YARTS is still running, but the bus that arrives in Mammoth Lakes at 8:30 is NOT RUNNING. Only the first and last busses are operating. This is why it makes sense to go to Lee Vining as hitching a ride on 120 to TM is very very easy from there.

      --The hike from Olmsted is much shorter than taking the JMT back to the valley and you can see the trail clearly on the Tom Harrison maps. The hiker shuttle from TM runs every 30 minutes, so that's easy too.

      --You could also take EST to Reno for $59 and then do a one-way car rental (if you have at least two drivers) but that will require making a long drive back to the valley via 395 to 108 to 140.

      Hope this helps any hikers exiting this weekend!

      --Robin