Women's Flash 65 Bargain

  • rwilly001
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30, 2013
      REI Outlet's Fall Sale shows a women's large Flash 65 pack for $78.73. This is the older style Flash, 3#, no bottom zip -- but it was a Backpacker pick when introduced. It's also time to watch for REI garage sales for killer end-of-season deals.
      http://www.rei.com/product/830304/rei-flash-65-pack-womens-special-buy
    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30, 2013
        I used a Flash 65 (men's version?) for my JMT hike a few weeks ago, I would enthusiastically recommend it. At 3 lbs 2 oz it is also very light.

        It also works well with a Bear Vault which I laid horizontally at the bottom of the pack.

        I've just acquired a Flash 62 (the heir to the 65) which I expect will be just as good.

        Ken.
      • oshnnsun

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
              This one:

              http://www.rei.com/product/768902/bearvault-bv500-food-container

              Comparisons:

              Make Capacity Weight Price

              Bear Vault 500 700 2lbs 9oz $70

              Berikade 900 2lbs 4oz $300

              These are your main choices. If you pack diligently, you can get 7 days of food in the Bear Vault. It worked for me.

              Ken.
            • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
                This might be clearer:

                Comparisons:

                Make: Bear Vault

                Capacity: 500 cu ins.

                Weight: 2lbs 9oz

                Cost: $70 - buy in store

                Make: Bearikade

                Capacity: 700 cu ins.

                Weight: 2lbs 4oz

                Cost: $300 - buy on-line
              • Rick Martyn
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
                  I think the capacities got messed up in the last post.

                  On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

                  This might be clearer:

                  Comparisons:

                  Make: Bear Vault

                  Capacity: 500 cu ins.

                  Weight: 2lbs 9oz

                  Cost: $70 - buy in store

                  Make: Bearikade

                  Capacity: 700 cu ins.

                  Weight: 2lbs 4oz

                  Cost: $300 - buy on-line

                • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
                      Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

                      Make: Bear Vault

                      > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
                      >
                      > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
                      >
                      > Cost: $70 - buy in store
                      >
                      > Make: Bearikade
                      >
                      > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
                      >
                      > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
                      >
                      > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

                      Thanks Rick.
                    • Joe MacLeish
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013

                        Or you can rent the Bearikade for the JMT thru trip for around $55

                        Okay, one more time, and I'll get this right. I'll probably have to cancel the trip to discover the source of the Nile after this. ;-)

                        Make: Bear Vault

                        > Capacity: 700 cu ins.
                        >
                        > Weight: 2lbs 9oz
                        >
                        > Cost: $70 - buy in store
                        >
                        > Make: Bearikade
                        >
                        > Capacity: 900 cu ins.
                        >
                        > Weight: 2lbs 4oz
                        >
                        > Cost: $300 - buy on-line

                        Thanks Rick.

                      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 4, 2013
                          I prefer to own my bear canister to use for other trips. I have rented the bearikade in the past, nothing wrong with it, but as I say, it's nice to own it - particularly with having it around during the winter at home so you can practice packing smaller.

                          The thing about a larger capacity though, it's like the old adage: "If you build it, they will come". The larger the bear canister, the more you will put in it. And the more you carry, the heavier it will be, you can very quickly negate the weight savings of the Bearikade by loading it with an extra 2-3lbs of food that you really don't need.

                          It's best to work on ways to reduce the need to carry food than to carry more just in case you might need it.

                          Ken.