Re: [John Muir Trail] Wash Dirty Clothes in a Water Bottle

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
      Isn't anyone worried about bears getting to the food that is removed from
      the bear cannister for its dual use as a wash tub? I've heard that black
      bears can be very sneaky and I talked to a hiker who had a black bear run
      into the camp sight and pick up a bear cannister by its lip because the lid
      was not secured to it, and ran away with it.

      On 1/29/09, song95139@... <song95139@...> wrote:

      > I agree with Al on using the bear canister to wash clothes with. All my
      > food are in zip lock or some plastic enclosed bag. I do not have any issue
      > about using this heavy canister to carry water to put out campfire, sit on
      > as a stool, wash clothes, store my food, as drum to make music, keep the
      > fish I catch until I am ready to cook them, and finally as a table to eat my
      > meals.
      >
      > These are some of the uses for my bear can. Please feel free to add any
      > more uses if you have any more to add.
      >
      > I also carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle for drinking water supply. I also use
      > the same water bottle as a pee bottle at night. Of course I rinse it out
      > thoroughly before reusing after every night.
      >
      > This is absolutely not a noob idea at all. Use every item you carry for
      > multiple uses can certainly save a lot of pain on joints and back.
      >
      > Sim
      >
      > --- On Wed, 1/28/09, Ima Person <imaperson91@...<imaperson91%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > From: Ima Person <imaperson91@... <imaperson91%40yahoo.com>>
      > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Wash Dirty Clothes in a Water Bottle
      > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 5:08 PM
      > > not noob either, as long as the food that goes back inside
      > > is sealed up. with the dry air, the cannister would
      > > probably dry very quickly anyway.
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
        Hotmail� goes where you go. On a PC, on the Web, on your phone.
        http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/versatility.aspx#mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_WL_HM_versatility_121208

      • Ralph Alcorn
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
          I haven't been reading this whole thread, so if someone already mentioned
          this, I apologize.

          We've been using a folding plastic sink 2.5 ounces for 10+ years. It finally
          started to leak, so we got another identical one online:
          http://www.preparedness.com/folpocsin.html
          Its very handy, washes clothes, ourselves, hauls water up to where you can
          pump it away from the mosquitoes, etc. After a few years of section hiking
          the pct, we are a lot less fussy about water. Any water, even a big mud
          puddle is good, and the fact that we have a multiple use pumping container
          doesn't bother us a bit.

          --
          Ralph Alcorn
          http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html

          and
          Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago

        • David
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
            Last year when I used my Bear Vault to wash clothes I made sure I
            was above tree so I could see everything around me clearly. I never
            had a bear problem. Lylle Canyon would not be a good place to do
            this!

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
            wrote:

            > Isn't anyone worried about bears getting to the food that is
            removed from
            > the bear cannister for its dual use as a wash tub? I've heard
            that black
            > bears can be very sneaky and I talked to a hiker who had a black
            bear run
            > into the camp sight and pick up a bear cannister by its lip
            because the lid
            > was not secured to it, and ran away with it.
            >
            > On 1/29/09, song95139@... <song95139@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I agree with Al on using the bear canister to wash clothes
            with. All my
            > > food are in zip lock or some plastic enclosed bag. I do not have
            any issue
            > > about using this heavy canister to carry water to put out
            campfire, sit on
            > > as a stool, wash clothes, store my food, as drum to make music,
            keep the
            > > fish I catch until I am ready to cook them, and finally as a
            table to eat my
            > > meals.
            > >
            > > These are some of the uses for my bear can. Please feel free to
            add any
            > > more uses if you have any more to add.
            > >
            > > I also carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle for drinking water supply.
            I also use
            > > the same water bottle as a pee bottle at night. Of course I
            rinse it out
            > > thoroughly before reusing after every night.
            > >
            > > This is absolutely not a noob idea at all. Use every item you
            carry for
            > > multiple uses can certainly save a lot of pain on joints and
            back.

            > > Sim
            > >
            > > --- On Wed, 1/28/09, Ima Person <imaperson91@...<imaperson91%
            40yahoo.com>>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > > From: Ima Person <imaperson91@... <imaperson91%40yahoo.com>>
            > > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Wash Dirty Clothes in a Water
            Bottle
            > > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%
            40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 5:08 PM
            > > > not noob either, as long as the food that goes back inside
            > > > is sealed up. with the dry air, the cannister would
            > > > probably dry very quickly anyway.
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________
            > > > From: Sean Mahoney <cutlassdude70@... <cutlassdude70%
            40gmail.com>>

          • David
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
              Above tree line - not above trees!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davecarb@...> wrote:

              > Last year when I used my Bear Vault to wash clothes I made sure I
              > was above tree so I could see everything around me clearly. I
              never
              > had a bear problem. Lylle Canyon would not be a good place to do
              > this!
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Isn't anyone worried about bears getting to the food that is
              > removed from
              > > the bear cannister for its dual use as a wash tub? I've heard
              > that black
              > > bears can be very sneaky and I talked to a hiker who had a black
              > bear run
              > > into the camp sight and pick up a bear cannister by its lip
              > because the lid
              > > was not secured to it, and ran away with it.
              > >
              > > On 1/29/09, song95139@ <song95139@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I agree with Al on using the bear canister to wash clothes
              > with. All my
              > > > food are in zip lock or some plastic enclosed bag. I do not
              have
              > any issue
              > > > about using this heavy canister to carry water to put out
              > campfire, sit on
              > > > as a stool, wash clothes, store my food, as drum to make
              music,
              > keep the
              > > > fish I catch until I am ready to cook them, and finally as a
              > table to eat my
              > > > meals.
              > > >
              > > > These are some of the uses for my bear can. Please feel free
              > add any
              > > > more uses if you have any more to add.
              > > >
              > > > I also carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle for drinking water
              supply.
              > I also use
              > > > the same water bottle as a pee bottle at night. Of course I
              > rinse it out
              > > > thoroughly before reusing after every night.
              > > >
              > > > This is absolutely not a noob idea at all. Use every item you
              > carry for
              > > > multiple uses can certainly save a lot of pain on joints and
              > back.
              > > >
              > > > Sim
              > > >
              > > > --- On Wed, 1/28/09, Ima Person <imaperson91@<imaperson91%
              > 40yahoo.com>>

              > Bottle
              > 40yahoogroups.com>

              > 40gmail.com>>

            • Steve Schauer
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
                Ziploc bags worked for me. I highly recommend.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 29, 2009
                  Wow, now that's a bear with no fear.
                  I've had them circle my camp when I'm there and troll through my camp at night rooting around, but
                  never during the day when I'm in camp. They've alway run away when I stand and approach.

                  Maybe I just smell too bad or something. ;-)
                  Derek

                  ________________________________
                  Isn't anyone worried about bears getting to the food that is removed from
                  the bear cannister for its dual use as a wash tub? I've heard that black
                  bears can be very sneaky and I talked to a hiker who had a black bear run
                  into the camp sight and pick up a bear cannister by its lip because the lid
                  was not secured to it, and ran away with it.

                  On 1/29/09, song95139@... <song95139@...> wrote:

                  > I agree with Al on using the bear canister to wash clothes with. All my
                  > food are in zip lock or some plastic enclosed bag. I do not have any issue
                  > about using this heavy canister to carry water to put out campfire, sit on
                  > as a stool, wash clothes, store my food, as drum to make music, keep the
                  > fish I catch until I am ready to cook them, and finally as a table to eat my
                  > meals.
                  >
                  > These are some of the uses for my bear can. Please feel free to add any
                  > more uses if you have any more to add.
                  >
                  > I also carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle for drinking water supply. I also use
                  > the same water bottle as a pee bottle at night. Of course I rinse it out
                  > thoroughly before reusing after every night.
                  >
                  > This is absolutely not a noob idea at all. Use every item you carry for
                  > multiple uses can certainly save a lot of pain on joints and back.
                  >
                  > Sim
                  >
                  > --- On Wed, 1/28/09, Ima Person <imaperson91@...<imaperson91%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > From: Ima Person <imaperson91@... <imaperson91%40yahoo.com>>
                  > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Wash Dirty Clothes in a Water Bottle
                  > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 5:08 PM
                  > > not noob either, as long as the food that goes back inside
                  > > is sealed up. with the dry air, the cannister would
                  > > probably dry very quickly anyway.

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 31, 2009
                    I bought a 2 1/2 gallon cloth water bag from Sportsman Warehouse. It weighed 3 oz and worked well for washing clothes and storage of stuff. It has lasted me for 3 years and still looks new. They have it on the wall with the head nets and poop shovels and things. The problem with taking your food out of your canister and using to wash clothes is your food is totally unprotected during that time,and I believe the fine is about $150 per item not secured.
                    Kevin Aston
                    www.kevinaston.com