Re: Sep 6th-19th are mosquitos bad?

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
      I haven't seen a mosquito on the trail for over a month. One of the many pleasures of hiking in September is the lack of bugs.

      JD

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kat Nesbit wrote:

      > I can take the discomforts of heat, cold, long days but I can't stand mosquitos! My friend and I are hiking September 6th - 19th and we want to go as light as possible, so we would like to leave the tent behind and just take a light tarp. My only heisitation is mosquitos; I'd rather carry the extra weight than deal with them! Anyone just get off the trail or have an insight?
      > Thanks!

    • katonines
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
        Thanks guys. We can't wait!

        > I haven't seen a mosquito on the trail for over a month. One of the many
        > pleasures of hiking in September is the lack of bugs.
        > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
        > <http://www.johndittli.com>
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kat Nesbit wrote:
        > >
        > > I can take the discomforts of heat, cold, long days but I can't stand
        > mosquitos! My friend and I are hiking September 6th - 19th and we want
        > to go as light as possible, so we would like to leave the tent behind
        > and just take a light tarp. My only heisitation is mosquitos; I'd rather
        > carry the extra weight than deal with them! Anyone just get off the
        > trail or have an insight?
        > > Thanks!

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
          You also need to think about staying warm. I'm going SOBO Sep 4-25 and I decided to take a tent because of the possible temperatures at the south end (and also put pack inside the tent to reduce the problem of meadow mice getting into my pack and other critters going for sweat salt on the armstraps).

          So you'll probably pass me up early on. Have a good trip!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kat Nesbit <kat.nesbit@...> wrote:

          > I can take the discomforts of heat, cold, long days but I can't stand mosquitos! My friend and I are hiking September 6th - 19th and we want to go as light as possible, so we would like to leave the tent behind and just take a light tarp. My only heisitation is mosquitos; I'd rather carry the extra weight than deal with them! Anyone just get off the trail or have an insight?
          > Thanks!

        • coureur_de_boue
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013

            Good to know....I can forego the bug spray, then?

            I'll be there (SOBO) Sept 11 to 19.
          • johndittli
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013

              I would.