Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: W. portal transport & hotel/motel

  • Carol Wall
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 28 7:13 AM
      Marion,  thanks so much, I'm using your solid info. Regards, carol

      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:33 PM, marian21cohen <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Carol,

      The people in the Whitney Portal shop very kindly called the shuttle service for us. We were lucky that it was available, and the bus arrived soon after we finished our meal. We shared the $65 cost with other hikers who also wanted to get to Lone Pine.

      We stayed at the Dow Villa Motel, where we had made a reservation in advance. Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean and comfortable room.

      Fantastic breakfast the next morning at the bustling Alabama Hills Cafe (next to the laundromat, on the side street across from the Dow Villa Motel). Everything made from scratch using lots of local produce. We each had the 'Ironman Scramble' (beautifully cooked scrambled eggs mixed with local seasonal veg and mushrooms and topped with a light hollandaise sauce!) along with tasty home fries and a biscuit. Absolutely delicious. Having seen the enticing, enormous slices of homemade pie that some customers had for breakfast, we also bought a whole triple berry pie for the journey home. Superior quality. This was just last Thursday, and I'm already yearning to return to that cafe!

      Marian (& Steve)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carol Wall <seawall6@...> wrote:

      > We're leaving Friday for 2 nd half of JMT SOBo from VVR. I've learned a lot and appreciate this group. I can't find the info. I swear I saved about getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and where to stay in Lone Pine. Thanks,
      >
      > Sent from my iPad

    • kerry.devilbiss
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 28 10:13 AM
        Just spoke with the USPS in the Valley - they said they are working with the Park Service on a way to get mail up to Tuolumne, told me to go ahead and ship my stuff up there ... and hope for the best?

        If I get it out by tomorrow at the latest, I hope it will get there by the Monday after next, guess I will find out soon enough!

        Still holding out hope that the Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek closure only lasts a few days. That seems naive, unfortunately.