Unreal video of Rim Fire from Air Tanker

  • Josh Townsley
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
      Inside the cockpit of MAFFS 6, a California Air National Guard C-130J-30 Hercules, as it drops fire retardant on the Rim Fire burning in the Stanislaus National Forest near Yosemite National Park.

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
        Wow! Thanks for passing that video along! That is one big fire. We are getting the brunt of all that smoke here in the Reno/Sparks area as the wind is blowing south to north.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Josh Townsley <jct@...> wrote:

        > Inside the cockpit of MAFFS 6, a California Air National Guard C-130J-30
        > Hercules, as it drops fire retardant on the Rim Fire burning in the
        > Stanislaus National Forest near Yosemite National Park.
        >
        > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_eGiGG1B-Q
        >
        > --
        > Josh Townsley
        > 503.547.9559
        > jct@...

      • mansfield1925
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
          > Inside the cockpit of MAFFS 6, a California Air National Guard C-130J-30

          Here is another interesting video, including a short discussion of the audible warning:

          http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid944380839001?bckey=AQ%7E%7E%2CAAAACbynDJE%7E%2Cislw6l_hfxXcAr-uYA75wd0007oT-OFw&bctid=2625001135001&sf16420515=1
        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
            One of the loadmasters on those planes is someone I flew with in the air force. He's now flying for the Air National Guard out of Colorado. He's been out doing drops on fires several times this year, and in years past. There was a crew that was lost doing a drop in the past year. I sure wouldn't mind flying these missions. I used to be a flight engineer on C-141's. You don't want to turn the landing gear warnings off in case you forget to turn them back on, and you just kind of tune them out.

            Kim

            On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM, mansfield1925 <keith.barlow@...> wrote:

            > Inside the cockpit of MAFFS 6, a California Air National Guard C-130J-30

            Here is another interesting video, including a short discussion of the audible warning:

            http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid944380839001?bckey=AQ%7E%7E%2CAAAACbynDJE%7E%2Cislw6l_hfxXcAr-uYA75wd0007oT-OFw&bctid=2625001135001&sf16420515=1

          • climbskihikebike
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
              Wow...awesome video, thanks for posting!
              Allen
            • sanfran_rwood
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                Here's an NPR article the provides more context. They link to some interesting pictures from space as well as the KQED page that hosts the video series. Note that the video at brightcove is truncated and of lower resolution than the original, at YouTube at http://youtu.be/c_eGiGG1B-Q — the original is viewable at 1080p.
                --
                Richard

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013

                  _