Re: How much faster is it to go South to North on JMT?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2013
      Not a huge difference as the 4000' or so less elevation gain going NOBO is really compensated for in altitude acclimatization going SOBO, and technichally not on the official JMT. I have had overall faster hiking times heading NOBO as I get a lot of the harder passes out of the way early while I have fresh legs and feet, but my full JMT completion track record has been better when going SOBO, as I dont seem to push quite as hard early and the goal of summiting Whitney has more appeal than finishing in Yosemite Valley. Most folks going for speed tend to go NOBO.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "climbskihikebike" <acurrano@...> wrote:

      > For those who have done the trail in both directions - how much faster is it to do the entire trail starting at Whitney start vs starting in Yosemite Valley?
      > I've done it from north to south but never south to north.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Allen

    • climbskihikebike
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
        Thanks Robert...I was thinking it should be at least 10% faster...but it definitely is frontloaded that way.