W. portal transport & hotel/motel

  • Carol Wall
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
      We're leaving Friday for 2 nd half of JMT SOBo from VVR. I've learned a lot and appreciate this group. I can't find the info. I swear I saved about getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and where to stay in Lone Pine. Thanks,

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
        Carol, it is all in the crib sheet, takes up one sheet of paper -- print it out and bring on the hike:

        For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail.

        (it's in the footer of all posted messages).

        Most JMT hikers prefer either Dow Villa Motel or the Whitney Hostel.

        _

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013

            I just picked up on KCBS that the Tioga road is or will be closing shortly between Crane Flat and White Wolf to allow firefighter access.  I thought I heard for a few days.  If this is so access to Tuolumne will only be from the East side.  I hope I heard it wrong but ...

            Joe

          • longritchie
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
              You heard right. Tomorrow at noon it closes between Crane Flat and Yosemite Creek. See nps.gov/yose

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

              > I just picked up on KCBS that the Tioga road is or will be closing shortly between Crane Flat and White Wolf to allow firefighter access. I thought I heard for a few days. If this is so access to Tuolumne will only be from the East side. I hope I heard it wrong but ...
              >
              > Joe

            • longritchie
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                "...anticipated to be closed at least through Labor Day Weekend"

                "August 27, 2013 - A portion of the Tioga Road, from Crane Flat to White Wolf, will be temporarily closed to all vehicular traffic beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 12:00 noon. The closure is necessary for firefighters to perform fire suppression activities along the road. This portion of the road is anticipated to be closed at least through Labor Day Weekend. The park will issue an update as conditions allow for the reopening of the road."

                http://yubanet.com/regional/Portion-of-Tioga-Road-in-Yosemite-National-Park-to-be-Temporarily-Closed.php

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, longritchie <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > You heard right. Tomorrow at noon it closes between Crane Flat and Yosemite Creek. See nps.gov/yose
                >

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just picked up on KCBS that the Tioga road is or will be closing shortly between Crane Flat and White Wolf to allow firefighter access. I thought I heard for a few days. If this is so access to Tuolumne will only be from the East side. I hope I heard it wrong but ...
                > >
                > > Joe

              • Barbara Karagosian
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                  So no bus/shuttle from the valley to Tuolumne, I'm assuming.

                  Barbara

                  On Aug 27, 2013, at 5:48 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  "...anticipated to be closed at least through Labor Day Weekend"

                  "August 27, 2013 - A portion of the Tioga Road, from Crane Flat to White Wolf, will be temporarily closed to all vehicular traffic beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 12:00 noon. The closure is necessary for firefighters to perform fire suppression activities along the road. This portion of the road is anticipated to be closed at least through Labor Day Weekend. The park will issue an update as conditions allow for the reopening of the road."

                  http://yubanet.com/regional/Portion-of-Tioga-Road-in-Yosemite-National-Park-to-be-Temporarily-Closed.php

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, longritchie <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > You heard right. Tomorrow at noon it closes between Crane Flat and Yosemite Creek. See nps.gov/yose
                  >

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just picked up on KCBS that the Tioga road is or will be closing shortly between Crane Flat and White Wolf to allow firefighter access. I thought I heard for a few days. If this is so access to Tuolumne will only be from the East side. I hope I heard it wrong but ...
                  > >
                  > > Joe

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                    I got an email from YNP announcing the closure.

                    Well, crap. My plan was to arrive in the Valley Sunday afternoon from the Bay Area, take YARTS up to Tuolumne Meadows that pm, acclimate at TM altitude until Tuesday afternoon, come back on the hiker's bus, spend the night at CV and begin my SOBO adventure on Wednesday at Happy Isles.

                    I've sent an email to YNP to ask if I can stay at the backpacker's camp Sun and Mon night (I have an actual campground reservation for Tues night). We'll see if they show some flexibility.

                    The best laid plans......

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                    > I just picked up on KCBS that the Tioga road is or will be closing shortly between Crane Flat and White Wolf to allow firefighter access. I thought I heard for a few days. If this is so access to Tuolumne will only be from the East side. I hope I heard it wrong but ...
                    >
                    > Joe

                  • Erica
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                      Curious if anyway has any thoughts on wether TM might be in danger of closing in the near future? Looking at the fire perimeter - it still appears the fire is a distance away, but I'm not familiar with how cautious they usually get with evacuations. And with someone mentioning that the winds may be forecasted to shift directions - that could make the smoke way more of an issue I'm thinking.

                      We're scheduled to leave on Friday from HI and get to TM on Sunday morning. I'm just trying decide if there is a realistic chance that either the smoke forces us off the trail, or that they close routes to TM?
                    • kerry.devilbiss
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                        I think you guys will be fine - Yosemite is telling people "Come on in! - just use one of THESE entrances..." Twenty miles away is still a healthy distance - and you're off in a couple days! Stoked!

                        However... I think I'm going to need a new plan... the original was: drop off a car at Whitney Portal, then head North in another car across 120 from Mammoth to TM (drop off resupply) to HI, leave a car there. Starting 9/5, two people hike from HI to RM, One person gets out at RM, takes YARTS back and picks up the car, and the other continues south to Whitney Portal and picks up that car.

                        Now ... I am a bit puzzled... any thoughts? Will have to ship a resupply to TM and pick it up on Monday instead of Sunday, but as far as cars go... yikes. Leaving a car in the valley for 24 days seems inadvisable with a massive disaster on the doorstep?

                        Oh, fire.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                        > Curious if anyway has any thoughts on whether TM might be in danger of closing in the near future? Looking at the fire perimeter - it still appears the fire is a distance away, but I'm not familiar with how cautious they usually get with evacuations. And with someone mentioning that the winds may be forecasted to shift directions - that could make the smoke way more of an issue I'm thinking.
                        >
                        > We're scheduled to leave on Friday from HI and get to TM on Sunday morning. I'm just trying decide if there is a realistic chance that either the smoke forces us off the trail, or that they close routes to TM?

                      • Dittli-Goethals
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                          Day hike down to the Valley from Tioga Road via Snow Creek. Adds a day to your trip.

                          JD
                          Walk the Sky

                          --
                          John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                          John Dittli Photography

                          2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013

                            On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM, kerry.devilbiss <kerry.devilbiss@...> wrote:
                            Will have to ship a resupply to TM

                            Better check that the mail is getting through - it usually travels to the Valley first, then to TM. USPS will have to re-route it and hopefully will do so

                          • tamirph
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                              we were gonna do the same: leave a car at Whitney...shuttle to TM...bus to Yosemite Valley--this Saturday. Now I am calling tomorrow to do Plan B. Good Luck!!

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                                Oh boy--I got the email today that our box was delivered today. I think it goes to the main post office and they send it down to TM. Do you think we are going to have concerns? Since Plan B is to start from TM...I could at least get some of the re-supply redone if needed.

                                Man--this would be a perfect time for a list of what was in the box--you know all those emails that told me to write it down. I crossed the items off the lists...NEVER thinking I might have to re-do the box.

                                > On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM, kerry.devilbiss
                                > <kerry.devilbiss@...>wrote:
                                >
                                > > Will have to ship a resupply to TM
                                >

                                > Better check that the mail is getting through - it usually travels to the
                                > Valley first, then to TM. USPS will have to re-route it and hopefully will
                                > do so
                                >
                                > John Curran Ladd
                                > 1616 Castro Street
                                > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                                > 415-648-9279

                              • marian21cohen
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 27, 2013
                                  Hi Carol,

                                  The people in the Whitney Portal shop very kindly called the shuttle service for us. We were lucky that it was available, and the bus arrived soon after we finished our meal. We shared the $65 cost with other hikers who also wanted to get to Lone Pine.

                                  We stayed at the Dow Villa Motel, where we had made a reservation in advance. Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean and comfortable room.

                                  Fantastic breakfast the next morning at the bustling Alabama Hills Cafe (next to the laundromat, on the side street across from the Dow Villa Motel). Everything made from scratch using lots of local produce. We each had the 'Ironman Scramble' (beautifully cooked scrambled eggs mixed with local seasonal veg and mushrooms and topped with a light hollandaise sauce!) along with tasty home fries and a biscuit. Absolutely delicious. Having seen the enticing, enormous slices of homemade pie that some customers had for breakfast, we also bought a whole triple berry pie for the journey home. Superior quality. This was just last Thursday, and I'm already yearning to return to that cafe!

                                  Marian (& Steve)

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carol Wall <seawall6@...> wrote:

                                  > We're leaving Friday for 2 nd half of JMT SOBo from VVR. I've learned a lot and appreciate this group. I can't find the info. I swear I saved about getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and where to stay in Lone Pine. Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Sent from my iPad

                                • Dave
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 28, 2013
                                    I doubt TM would close. There are a lot of big exposed granite areas between the fire and TM, which gives very defensible positions.

                                    The winds would pretty much have to be blowing due east or southeast to cause smoke problems. Could possibly happen, but you should be able to check the NWS weather forecasts to figure that one out.

                                    I was going to mail a resupply package to TM today, but I'm going to call the TM post office first to see which direction their mail comes from. If it comes from the Valley, may have to re-think plan. If it comes from the east, should be no disruption.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 28, 2013
                                      Marion,  thanks so much, I'm using your solid info. Regards, carol

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:33 PM, marian21cohen <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      Hi Carol,

                                      The people in the Whitney Portal shop very kindly called the shuttle service for us. We were lucky that it was available, and the bus arrived soon after we finished our meal. We shared the $65 cost with other hikers who also wanted to get to Lone Pine.

                                      We stayed at the Dow Villa Motel, where we had made a reservation in advance. Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean and comfortable room.

                                      Fantastic breakfast the next morning at the bustling Alabama Hills Cafe (next to the laundromat, on the side street across from the Dow Villa Motel). Everything made from scratch using lots of local produce. We each had the 'Ironman Scramble' (beautifully cooked scrambled eggs mixed with local seasonal veg and mushrooms and topped with a light hollandaise sauce!) along with tasty home fries and a biscuit. Absolutely delicious. Having seen the enticing, enormous slices of homemade pie that some customers had for breakfast, we also bought a whole triple berry pie for the journey home. Superior quality. This was just last Thursday, and I'm already yearning to return to that cafe!

                                      Marian (& Steve)

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carol Wall <seawall6@...> wrote:

                                      > We're leaving Friday for 2 nd half of JMT SOBo from VVR. I've learned a lot and appreciate this group. I can't find the info. I swear I saved about getting from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and where to stay in Lone Pine. Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > Sent from my iPad

                                    • kerry.devilbiss
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 28, 2013
                                        Just spoke with the USPS in the Valley - they said they are working with the Park Service on a way to get mail up to Tuolumne, told me to go ahead and ship my stuff up there ... and hope for the best?

                                        If I get it out by tomorrow at the latest, I hope it will get there by the Monday after next, guess I will find out soon enough!

                                        Still holding out hope that the Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek closure only lasts a few days. That seems naive, unfortunately.