Re: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fences on Trail?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013
      There are resupply stations in the southern half but they are not near the trail.   The problem is that in the southern half the trail never gets near to a road, but such is not the case down through Muir Trail Ranch.

      Closest the trail gets to a road is about 7.5 miles which is at the Kearsarge Pass/JMT junction, and sure enough there is a resupply station at the roadhead, Sequoia Kings Pack Train.

      To achieve what you want would require building new roads and that would destroy the appeal of the trail which is that the trail is in a remote wilderness setting without roads.  From what, is it Kennedy Meadows or farther south, to Tuolumne Meadows, there is no East-West road that crosses the Sierra.  Even if the authorities kept that intact, to support Charlotte Lake, it would still require a road from the West, and the closest road from the West comes into the trail near Road's end, which is how far from the trail at its closest junction (is it 19 or 9 miles and isn't that at Woods Creek)?  I wish I knew my geography to the west best, I'm at work now and am more familiar with the JMT distance from the east than from the west.

      _

      On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

      Is it possible to get a land lease or grant and put a resupply station up around bullfrog or Charlotte lakes.
      If possible what a great group contribution to the JMT and PCT this could be.
      Yes if allowed there will be obstacles, so what all equations can be solved.
      Jeffery

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
        Why would you want a resupply station in the Wilderness areas, especially at Bullfrog or Charlotte Lake?

        Danica

        -------- Original message -------- From: John Ladd <johnladd@...> Date: To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fences on Trail?
        On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM, kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net <kenjessett@...> wrote:
        I expect any day now, John Ladd will offer to set-up a resupply depot along the bottom half of the trail using llamas to bring the food in. I can see him standing on the side of an escarpment wearing a kilt and playing the pipes to draw the curious traveller and seduce them with his ghee, pigs fat and other similarly horrible stuff.

        What a great idea. Maybe I could joint venture it with

        No, I haven't left town yet. Tomorrow morning. 23 days with gloriously no temptations to post excessively or again re-argue the benefits of lardo, ghee, pesto or confits

        Unfortunately, it may take me a while to learn how to play a bagpipe. Would an Irish flute do as well?

        John Curran Ladd 1616 Castro Street San Francisco, CA  94114-3707415-648-9279