Smoke

  • hegghart@nvbell.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
      Any on-the-trail updates on smoke?
      Henry
    • debrabrownbear
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
        I am still hanging out fishing at June Lake, waiting for my toe to heal. Was on top of Mammoth Mountain yesterday (took the gondola up) and saw no signs of Rim fire smoke near Reds, or as far as I could see.

        We took a drive to Independence to check out the Kearsarge pass trailhead out of Onion Valley - so spectacularly pretty - and was surprised to see lots of smoke leaking northwest into the 395 southern sierra corridor from the southern White mountains ( I believe). It ruined the vista of the southern Sierra south of Independence. Will be curious to hear from SOBO hikers coming off the JMT in Lone Pine. Not sure what fires are causing this smoke.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hegghart@..." <hegghart@...> wrote:

        > Any on-the-trail updates on smoke?
        > Henry

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
          There are a couple of fires in the southern Sierra that are reducing air quality along the southern JMT.

          JD

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
            On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM, John <johndittli@...> wrote:
            There are a couple of fires in the southern Sierra that are reducing air quality along the southern JMT.

            Sigh! I thought I'd escape them.

            I have good dark night skies the first part of my NoBo trip and weather redictions suggest little cloud cover. I was hoping for lots of meteors and good sky views. Life's not fair. (Or maybe it is and I'm just going to experience what so many others have this year)

          • Lynn Alexander
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2014

              I'm in Mammoth and the smoke is so bad I can barely see 2 blocks.  It is burning my eyes and throat. My husband is doing a short 16 mile day hike exiting the JMT at Duck Lake.  (I still have a sprained ankle and can't walk without crutches. ) When I pick him up I'll report on his smoke experience.

            • Cindy's Y!
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2014
                Reds Meadow is also very bad.

                JMT along Thousand Island, Garnet, etc., lakes is awful. Banner and Ritter barely show up at all. Ashes are drifting here and there.