Re: [John Muir Trail] Highway 120 into Yosemite Valley temporarily closed due to wildfire

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
      Looks like the Rim Fire has the potential to force closure of the Sonora Pass Road (CA 108) as well as 120. I'm headed over 108 on Wednesday for my Northbound JMT hike and it's possible fire could force me to make a big loop via US 50 and CA 88-89. Hard to feel justifiably annoyed, though, with so many people with worse worries.

      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

      I apologize for the cross-posting both here and on the Facebook group. But if you were planning on using Sonora Pass this week, you might confirm that it is still open right before you leave. You can call 1-800.427.7623 for a nice automated system of current road conditions or go to

      http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

      On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

      Anyone heading into YV may need to take another route such as Highway 140 via Mariposa.

      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

    • john_friend
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
        If you're trying to get to Whitney Portal from the SF Bay Area, it might make more sense to go down to Bakersfield, around the southern end of the Sierras and up 395. It's more miles, but faster than even 108. When we drove back to the SF Bay Area from Whitney Portal, that's how we went and it worked out well. It's not as pretty as other ways (some desolate desert in some parts), but it's a lot more freeway and no big mountains to go over and no RVs to get stuck behind.

        --John

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
          John, how long did that take you? I'm wondering if that might work for another trip next year.

          Ken.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > If you're trying to get to Whitney Portal from the SF Bay Area, it might make more sense to go down to Bakersfield, around the southern end of the Sierras and up 395. It's more miles, but faster than even 108. When we drove back to the SF Bay Area from Whitney Portal, that's how we went and it worked out well. It's not as pretty as other ways (some desolate desert in some parts), but it's a lot more freeway and no big mountains to go over and no RVs to get stuck behind.

        • Aaron Tjogas
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
            Hi All,
            Rim Fire is really big 125,000+ acres.
            It appears that Yosemite is temporarily not issuing wilderness permits. Is this correct?
            The fire appears to be 5% contained.
            I'm departing on the JMT Wednesday, I'm thinking I should be ok, but I don't want to be stuck in a smokey haze if the wind changes direction.
            Any thoughts?
            Thank you,
            Aaron
          • john_friend
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
              It took us about 6-1/2 hrs from the hotel in Lone Pine to our house near Palo Alto in the Bay Area taking 395 south and then over to Bakersfield and then cutting over to I-5 (stopped once for gas and once for bathroom/snacks).

              Google predicts slightly longer time (but fewer miles) taking 108 over the mountains to 395 and I know from experience that the 108 route is a bit more unpredictable due to slow moving vacation traffic. The southern route is just 395 and then pretty much all freeway after that.

              --John

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 25, 2013
                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 26, 2013