RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Smoke from Rim Fire

  • Jim Ringland
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013

      NASA's EOSDIS satellite picture (http://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/) shows the amazing extent of the smoke: across much of northern Nevada and into Utah.  At the moment, none of the JMT seems affected.  I do wonder though, how much of the north boundary country of Yosemite and how much of the Emigrant Wilderness will eventually be hit.  -- Jim Ringland

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
        I got a call from straw_marmot saying that he could see and smell smoke and even see flames in the NW corner of Yosemite NP (Crane Flat area and further NW) but that -- presently at least -- he thought that smoke would be, at worst, a minor annoyance along the JMT. Wind at present sending smoke to the NE and therefore veering away from the JMT (A wind from the NW would be the worst for the JMT)

        He's planning on a short hike in the Glen Aulin area of the park, despite the smoke, before starting his Southbound JMT. (He's leaving his car at Whitney Portal and driving mine to Yosemite Valley on the 27th, so we are each walking toward our own cars.)

        He asked me to pass this on the the Group as he did not have web access.

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
          I would speculate that lacking any heavy rains it will burn up into the granite....

          We spent the night above the Mono Basin last night. The smoke started eddying down the eastside filling the Mono Basin with thick smoke last night. Light smoke now down here in Little Round Valley. It mountains at this point seem to be clear.

          John