Smoke from Rim Fire

  • debrabrownbear
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
      Long story short...had to bail out SOBO at VVR due to a nasty and painful infected big toe, spent a couple of days at home up to my ears in antibiotics and Epsom salt footbaths, and today drove over Sonora pass west to east, thinking to hole up at June lake until my toe is ready to roll again, and then may try going back to the JMT over Kearsarge. All that aside...the smoke beginning at about 1000' in the foothills is terrible. All the way up and over the 9600' Sonora pass it's very smoky. Sitting in Bridgeport having a burger, and can see the smoke leaking out into the east side of the Sierra through the Levitt and Walker drainages. Looks good so far to the south. A friend of mine in Groveland and reports winds from the SW, which explains what I'm seeing here.
    • Gail
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
        Consistent with that, here is a comment posted after an article about the fire published today in The Guardian:

        "nvmitch

        23 August 2013 10:16pm

        I'm about 60 miles east of Reno, which is over 150 miles north of Yosemite. Smoke from this fire blew in yesterday afternoon and the weather people expect it to last through at least tomorrow. In Reno schools have cancelled all outdoor activities, street fairs have been cancelled, and the health dept. is advising people to stay inside. There are several smaller fires closer to us, but they are not the problem. The wind is blowing the Yosemite smoke right at us and there is so much of it! It doesn't bode well for the forests and wildlife down there."

        The article itself (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/wildfire-spreads-yosemite-national-park-california) says the fire is 20 miles from Yosemite Valley and that there is no smoke at all in the Valley.

        Gail

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
          The LA Times today reports

          The Rim fire near Yosemite National Park has grown to 105,620 acres -- or roughly 165 square miles -- in its sixth day of burning largely out of control through steep, rugged terrain.

          Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday declared a state of emergency as the wildfire spread in two directions. Having already destroyed nine structures, the fire was just 2% contained as of Friday, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

          The fire in the Stanislaus National Forest also brought additional evacuation orders from the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office as flames moved west toward homes in Pine Mountain Lake and west toward Camp Mather, which is near the border of Yosemite.

          Sounds like this fire is far worse than the Aspen fire.  Is this affecting any JMT hikers, or is it projected to possibly affect them?

          _

          On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:

          Consistent with that, here is a comment posted after an article about the fire published today in The Guardian:

          "nvmitch

          23 August 2013 10:16pm

          I'm about 60 miles east of Reno, which is over 150 miles north of Yosemite. Smoke from this fire blew in yesterday afternoon and the weather people expect it to last through at least tomorrow. In Reno schools have cancelled all outdoor activities, street fairs have been cancelled, and the health dept. is advising people to stay inside. There are several smaller fires closer to us, but they are not the problem. The wind is blowing the Yosemite smoke right at us and there is so much of it! It doesn't bode well for the forests and wildlife down there."

          The article itself (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/wildfire-spreads-yosemite-national-park-california) says the fire is 20 miles from Yosemite Valley and that there is no smoke at all in the Valley.

          Gail

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "debrabrownbear" <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

          > Long story short...had to bail out SOBO at VVR due to a nasty and painful infected big toe, spent a couple of days at home up to my ears in antibiotics and Epsom salt footbaths, and today drove over Sonora pass west to east, thinking to hole up at June lake until my toe is ready to roll again, and then may try going back to the JMT over Kearsarge. All that aside...the smoke beginning at about 1000' in the foothills is terrible. All the way up and over the 9600' Sonora pass it's very smoky. Sitting in Bridgeport having a burger, and can see the smoke leaking out into the east side of the Sierra through the Levitt and Walker drainages. Looks good so far to the south. A friend of mine in Groveland and reports winds from the SW, which explains what I'm seeing here.

        • Jim Ringland
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013

            NASA's EOSDIS satellite picture (http://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/) shows the amazing extent of the smoke: across much of northern Nevada and into Utah.  At the moment, none of the JMT seems affected.  I do wonder though, how much of the north boundary country of Yosemite and how much of the Emigrant Wilderness will eventually be hit.  -- Jim Ringland

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
              I got a call from straw_marmot saying that he could see and smell smoke and even see flames in the NW corner of Yosemite NP (Crane Flat area and further NW) but that -- presently at least -- he thought that smoke would be, at worst, a minor annoyance along the JMT. Wind at present sending smoke to the NE and therefore veering away from the JMT (A wind from the NW would be the worst for the JMT)

              He's planning on a short hike in the Glen Aulin area of the park, despite the smoke, before starting his Southbound JMT. (He's leaving his car at Whitney Portal and driving mine to Yosemite Valley on the 27th, so we are each walking toward our own cars.)

              He asked me to pass this on the the Group as he did not have web access.

            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 24, 2013
                I would speculate that lacking any heavy rains it will burn up into the granite....

                We spent the night above the Mono Basin last night. The smoke started eddying down the eastside filling the Mono Basin with thick smoke last night. Light smoke now down here in Little Round Valley. It mountains at this point seem to be clear.

                John