Re: Is there a scale at Whitney Portal?

  • nicmicbar
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
      Yes, there is. It's at the trailhead hanging off of the wooden structure there. It's one of those hanging scales with the hook on the bottom. I saw it just last week :)
    • Lawrence Landauer
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
        There was a scale at the Whitney Portal TH this past weekend when I was there. It's on the uphill side of the trail on the westernmost edge of the wooden structure that spans over the trailhead.

        - Lawrence

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
          lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!
        • scriv.ener
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
            Just beware that the latitudinal variation gravitational flux provided by the proximity of the eastern escarpment, and in particular by the
            Whitney monolith, can cause variations in spring-fed readings. You will probably find an appropriate co-efficient at the bottom of a bottle of hootch.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

            > lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!

          • larry mann
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
              Huh?

              On Aug 24, 2013, at 9:41 PM, "scriv.ener" <jeffreyz212@...> wrote:

              Just beware that the latitudinal variation gravitational flux provided by the proximity of the eastern escarpment, and in particular by the
              Whitney monolith, can cause variations in spring-fed readings. You will probably find an appropriate co-efficient at the bottom of a bottle of hootch.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

              > lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!

            • Jo T
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                Too funny!
                JoT.