Re: [John Muir Trail] Going without...

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
      I'm totally in agreement with this. In fact, after testing out my rain kilt this last week, I'm going one step further - NO PANTS!

      Normal hiking will be light running shorts or boxer briefs that dry in minutes.
      Light rain showers in warm weather, I just get wet.
      More sustained or cooler rain, rain kilt over shorts (still bare legs).
      And instead of any kind of long pants, I'm taking midweight long johns, at 5oz. These will be great for evenings in camp and cold nights, and will go on for hiking on the few occasions when I absolutely need something to cover my legs (summiting Whitney and high passes in cold & wind).

      I overheat so quickly in rain pants that I think I'm going to get far more utility out of a combination of stuff that dries very fast, rain kilt for rain & long johns for warmth.

      The one thing that this leaves me exposed to: I have nothing to cope with long bouts of sustained freezing rain. This is certainly possible in September, but unlikely enough that I'll take that chance. I have a 20deg bag and an extra day's food, and always the option of just sitting in my tent for a day in the worst case.

      Ralph