Is there a scale at Whitney Portal?

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
      Anybody remember if Whitney Portal Store has a scale?

      Either kind will work for me - either one I can hang my pack form, or one I can stand on with (and without) the pack.

      I'd like one since I am interested in knowing in my final total packweight as I start my Northbound trip. Likely around 50 lbs, though maybe a bit higher

    • Peter Billing
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
        There was one at the Trailhead.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
          On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Peter Billing <psbilling@...> wrote:

          There was one at the Trailhead.

          The Whitney Portal TH, right? And did you see it this year (rather than an earlier year)?
        • straw_marmot
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
            I hiked Whitney last year, and there's a weirdly overengineered structure at the TH, which as I recall had a hook for weighing packs, but I didn't have a pack, so no idea if it was functioning. Sorry not very helpful, I know.

            > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Peter Billing <psbilling@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > There was one at the Trailhead.
            > >
            > > The Whitney Portal TH, right? And did you see it this year (rather than an
            > earlier year)?

          • JeffH
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013

              > > There was one at the Trailhead.
              > >
              > > The Whitney Portal TH, right? And did you see it this year (rather than an
              > earlier year)?

              It's still there, I used it this year to see just how overweight my pack was...
            • nicmicbar
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                Yes, there is. It's at the trailhead hanging off of the wooden structure there. It's one of those hanging scales with the hook on the bottom. I saw it just last week :)
              • Lawrence Landauer
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                  There was a scale at the Whitney Portal TH this past weekend when I was there. It's on the uphill side of the trail on the westernmost edge of the wooden structure that spans over the trailhead.

                  - Lawrence

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                    lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!
                  • scriv.ener
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                      Just beware that the latitudinal variation gravitational flux provided by the proximity of the eastern escarpment, and in particular by the
                      Whitney monolith, can cause variations in spring-fed readings. You will probably find an appropriate co-efficient at the bottom of a bottle of hootch.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

                      > lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!

                    • larry mann
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                        Huh?

                        On Aug 24, 2013, at 9:41 PM, "scriv.ener" <jeffreyz212@...> wrote:

                        Just beware that the latitudinal variation gravitational flux provided by the proximity of the eastern escarpment, and in particular by the
                        Whitney monolith, can cause variations in spring-fed readings. You will probably find an appropriate co-efficient at the bottom of a bottle of hootch.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

                        > lol...I am actually debating taking the bathroom scale so we can check our before and after weight!!

                      • Jo T
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 24, 2013
                          Too funny!
                          JoT.