knee brace

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 28, 2009
      Any opinions from experience on the best kind of thing to wear on a sore
      knee (medial collateral ligament sprain) whilst thru hiking? One doc says
      they're purely "psychological" and heat up the knee versus cooling it.
      Another says go head wear one of those neoprene ones, or an ace wrap. I
      figure it's better to ask those who know from experience. Thanks, Barbara

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 27
        Knee surgery does work for some people but was it the placebo effect at work (aided by good physical therapy)?

        Quote: " A recent randomized trial8 showed that arthroscopic partial meniscectomy combined with physical therapy provides no better relief of symptoms than physical therapy alone in patients with a meniscal tear and knee osteoarthritis. We conducted a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled trial to assess the efficacy of arthroscopic partial meniscectomy in patients who have a degenerative tear of the medial meniscus without knee osteoarthritis."

        However, I do think in the case of a bucket flap tear of the meniscus, where the knee totally locks up, one has to have that surgically addressed.

        I do think the non-surgical advances in regeneration injection therapy, particularly where such is done by highly trained physicians in the techniques is showing far more promise.  I recommend those interested to become comfortable with these two resources to follow the scientific research:

        https://scholar.google.com

        _

        On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, drpetzlmd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        "Arthroscopic surgeries.... a complete and total waste of time and money"

        Not to cast dispersions on PRP or other regenerative therapies, but I need to add a comment in suppport of the surgical alternative.
        At 61 (a year ago) I had surgery to repair multiple complex medial meniscus tears, including one on the rear horn.  4 months later I was backpacking. The two keys are finding a sports medicine Orthopaedic surgeon and a sports medicine PT -- and of course being 100% compliant with their instructions and exercises. The two others I know who had surgical meniscal repairs are both doing similarly well.