Pics from my SOBO JMT 7/13-7/31 and carrying front mounted camera bag

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
      Just thought I'd share the pictures from my southbound JMT trip 7/13-7/30. There's a separate gallery for each day so you can check out any particular section of the trail if you want.

      I carried a Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 lens, front mounted in a camera bag, hanging from my backpack straps. Here's more info on how it was mounted/carried if anyone is interested in that part: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51972132

      We started from Glacier Point and joined the JMT at Nevada Falls. There were four of us from Glacier Point to MTR, then I finished the hike solo from MTR to Whitney Portal when the other three left the trail - completed the trip in 18 days. My first hike over 3 days since I was a teenager. Except for rain on 6 consecutive days, I loved it, though I guess I was glad to have the rain rather than the smoke (the fire started from a lightning storm the night we were at MTR so we were south of the smoke as the fire got big).

      Here are the pics: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Family/John-Muir-Trail
    • Ligia
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
        Thanks for sharing. Wonderful shots!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Just thought I'd share the pictures from my southbound JMT trip 7/13-7/30. There's a separate gallery for each day so you can check out any particular section of the trail if you want.
        >
        > I carried a Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 lens, front mounted in a camera bag, hanging from my backpack straps. Here's more info on how it was mounted/carried if anyone is interested in that part: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51972132
        >
        > We started from Glacier Point and joined the JMT at Nevada Falls. There were four of us from Glacier Point to MTR, then I finished the hike solo from MTR to Whitney Portal when the other three left the trail - completed the trip in 18 days. My first hike over 3 days since I was a teenager. Except for rain on 6 consecutive days, I loved it, though I guess I was glad to have the rain rather than the smoke (the fire started from a lightning storm the night we were at MTR so we were south of the smoke as the fire got big).
        >
        > Here are the pics: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Family/John-Muir-Trail

      • Gail
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
          Great photos, especially of the sunsets, the Milky Way, and your camps from heights that show them in perspective. And I especially enjoyed seeing parts of the trail I haven't ever been on. The Golden Staircase looks particularly daunting.

          I think we met the same marmot on the top of Donohue Pass.

          Gail

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
            Thanks Gail. I wish I had more sunset opportunities, but so often it was cloudy or rainy at that time. I was happy to capture the ones I did.

            The approach to Mather Pass (the Golden Staircase) kicked my butt for some reason. It is a long approach with steep parts, but it got me way more than other passes. I've been wondering how much it was the actual terrain of the Golden Staircase (which isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination) vs. how much it was the really long day I did the day before (and how much it wore me out) over Muir Pas to Deer Meadow (18 mi) so that I could get to Mather the next day. Probably a combination of both.

            When you do Forester Pass on a future trip, you can probably meet that same marmot too!

            --John