Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Sunrise Creek/High Sierra Camp Water

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
      Sunrise Creek intersects the JMT several times.  At one of the camp site locations, what one thinks is Sunrise Creek is dry often, such as in 2012 and 2013 (but not 2011).  However, if one just hikes another 1/16th of a mile, there is a creek always with water (but sometimes minimal).  I suspect that second creek is Sunrise and the first is some other, unnamed creek.  This happens at the camp site prior to doing the last mountain prior to getting from the South to Sunrise High Sierra Camp.

      _

      On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year.  Search for posts from recent trips but I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

      Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

      However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
      --
      Richard