Re: [John Muir Trail] Sierra storms

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013
      I met a fellow this evening who bailed because of the rain. He told me he was "resting" for a day or two, but I thought I saw plenty of ambivalence in his eyes.

      I'll put up with some rain (especially if it is only for a few hours in the afternoon and evening), but he said it started at 3 and didn't let up until 10! Not fun.

      On Aug 20, 2013, at 8:33 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      Possible tropical storm brewing off Baja, may bring moisture our way by Sunday...forecasts not sure yet.

      On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

      Classic thunderstorm weather for the Sierra Nevada. Yesterday, in Mammoth, the sky was perfectly clear in the morning, started getting a few puffy clouds in the early afternoon, and was raining, flashing, and rumbling at 4 p.m.

      Things are supposed to be the same today (So far they are; skies are clear.)

      Forecast is for a little rain tomorrow, and then great weather out as far as they can see (which I hope is three weeks).

    • tamirph
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 21, 2013
        My last two backpacking trips have been in storms along with a hike last weekend...at least I know I can do it if needed but hoping for the great weather too!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

        > Classic thunderstorm weather for the Sierra Nevada. Yesterday, in Mammoth,
        > the sky was perfectly clear in the morning, started getting a few puffy
        > clouds in the early afternoon, and was raining, flashing, and rumbling at 4
        > p.m.
        >
        > Things are supposed to be the same today (So far they are; skies are clear.)
        >
        > Forecast is for a little rain tomorrow, and then great weather out as far
        > as they can see (which I hope is three weeks).

      • straw_marmot
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
          Yes indeed. I was out in this on Tuesday night. I did a little trip in Yosemite to warm up and test gear for my JMT. Started at Glacier point, up Illilouette, crossed over into Ansel Adams at Fernandez Pass, and back around into Yosemite via Post Peak Pass. My plan for Tuesday was to camp at the two no-name lakes just north of Post Peak Pass below Isberg Peak as I came back into Yosemite.

          The storms were brewing as I crossed Post Peak pass, but I hurried over, more nervous of hail than of lightning as the route isn't super-exposed, just no shelter. As I came down toward the lakes, on a barren plain, I realized that things were getting bad. I found the best spot I could for lightning safety at the bottom of a shallow slope sheltered by a few bushes, got my tent up in what I thought was heavy rain... then the REAL rain started. Six hours non-stop. Lightning strikes over and over again for several minutes at a time as each CB came through. I lost count at 40 strikes within a mile of me.

          But the great thing was waking up to glorious sunshine and low humidity, my tent was bone dry by 8:30 am and my shoes were dried out after half an hour on the trail.

          Ralph

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

          > Hazardous warnings as of 6:40pm tonight
          >
          > AT 642 PM PDT...NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE OCCURRING OVER
          > THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...FOOTHILLS...AND EASTERN SAN JOAQUIN
          > VALLEY AREAS.
          >
          > HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE
          > EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS...ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
          > DANGEROUS LIGHTNING.
          > Chance of rain 60% in Tuolumne and Reds areas tonight, 50% tomorrow, decreasing to 20% Weds and clear by Thursday. Stay safe!

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
            glad you were OK.  Sounds like my trip last year at Charlotte Lake. And just when I thought it was through, there'd be another sudden flash and crash right overhead.

            Barbara

            On Aug 23, 2013, at 6:56 AM, "straw_marmot" <ralphbge@...> wrote:

            Yes indeed. I was out in this on Tuesday night. I did a little trip in Yosemite to warm up and test gear for my JMT. Started at Glacier point, up Illilouette, crossed over into Ansel Adams at Fernandez Pass, and back around into Yosemite via Post Peak Pass. My plan for Tuesday was to camp at the two no-name lakes just north of Post Peak Pass below Isberg Peak as I came back into Yosemite.

            The storms were brewing as I crossed Post Peak pass, but I hurried over, more nervous of hail than of lightning as the route isn't super-exposed, just no shelter. As I came down toward the lakes, on a barren plain, I realized that things were getting bad. I found the best spot I could for lightning safety at the bottom of a shallow slope sheltered by a few bushes, got my tent up in what I thought was heavy rain... then the REAL rain started. Six hours non-stop. Lightning strikes over and over again for several minutes at a time as each CB came through. I lost count at 40 strikes within a mile of me.

            But the great thing was waking up to glorious sunshine and low humidity, my tent was bone dry by 8:30 am and my shoes were dried out after half an hour on the trail.

            Ralph

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Hazardous warnings as of 6:40pm tonight
            >
            > AT 642 PM PDT...NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE OCCURRING OVER
            > THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...FOOTHILLS...AND EASTERN SAN JOAQUIN
            > VALLEY AREAS.
            >
            > HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE
            > EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS...ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
            > DANGEROUS LIGHTNING.
            > Chance of rain 60% in Tuolumne and Reds areas tonight, 50% tomorrow, decreasing to 20% Weds and clear by Thursday. Stay safe!

          • scriv.ener
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
              Great story, Ralph. Tell another one.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
                All the photos from my recent jaunt around SE Yosemite / Ansel Adams are here
                https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0hhb70evzu8fvga/gKHmctAYqL

                Aside from rain and lightning, I had fun with the marmots. I spotted some running around off a forest trail in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. They disappeared, but when I wandered over I could see that their burrow was under a large boulder, so I climbed up and sat on top the boulder very quietly. After about 15 minutes a little head popped out and peered up at me. Then another little head. Then much squeaking and murmuring... something along the lines of "what's it doing up there?" "I don't know, but I'm not going out" "You can't sit in here all day!" etc etc. There are a few pictures of the little fellows near the beginning of the set.

                Ralph

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013

                  Gorgeous, thank you.  That’s quite a storm looming at Vogelsang.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Oddly enough, the one at Vogelsang fizzled, nothing more than a few light showers. So unpredictable.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 24, 2013
                      when you went on past the lakes, did you stay high or drop down to the river? I ask because there is an oft-photographed campsite on a ledge above Merced Lake that way, with a view to the back side of Half Dome.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "straw_marmot" <ralphbge@...> wrote:

                      > All the photos from my recent jaunt around SE Yosemite / Ansel Adams are here
                      > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0hhb70evzu8fvga/gKHmctAYqL
                      >
                      > Aside from rain and lightning, I had fun with the marmots. I spotted some running around off a forest trail in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. They disappeared, but when I wandered over I could see that their burrow was under a large boulder, so I climbed up and sat on top the boulder very quietly. After about 15 minutes a little head popped out and peered up at me. Then another little head. Then much squeaking and murmuring... something along the lines of "what's it doing up there?" "I don't know, but I'm not going out" "You can't sit in here all day!" etc etc. There are a few pictures of the little fellows near the beginning of the set.
                      >
                      > Ralph
                      >

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" <jeffreyz212@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Great story, Ralph. Tell another one.
                      > >

                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "straw_marmot" <ralphbge@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > ... I realized that things were getting bad. I found the best
                      > > > spot I could for lightning safety at the bottom of a shallow
                      > > > slope sheltered by a few bushes, got my tent up in what I
                      > > > thought was heavy rain... then the REAL rain started. ...

                    • pdawg893
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 25, 2013
                        I was smack in the middle of this at Piute creek bridge when it unloaded.  So many lightning strikes I was sure I was next.  There were two small fires started on the southern facing slope at the creek intersection.  The thunderheads stayed directly above the canyon junctions and just roared for over an hour.  I didn't feel safe anywhere....the trees seemed a target....the open granite a bad idea and the metal bridge a worse idea o try to run across to get the hell out.  I actually food myself praying for the good lord to assist me in making the right decision.  I ran format over the bridge and endured a pretty heavy deluge all the way to the switchbacks below evolution valley.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Aug 23, 2013, at 6:56 AM, "straw_marmot" <ralphbge@...> wrote:

                        Yes indeed. I was out in this on Tuesday night. I did a little trip in Yosemite to warm up and test gear for my JMT. Started at Glacier point, up Illilouette, crossed over into Ansel Adams at Fernandez Pass, and back around into Yosemite via Post Peak Pass. My plan for Tuesday was to camp at the two no-name lakes just north of Post Peak Pass below Isberg Peak as I came back into Yosemite.

                        The storms were brewing as I crossed Post Peak pass, but I hurried over, more nervous of hail than of lightning as the route isn't super-exposed, just no shelter. As I came down toward the lakes, on a barren plain, I realized that things were getting bad. I found the best spot I could for lightning safety at the bottom of a shallow slope sheltered by a few bushes, got my tent up in what I thought was heavy rain... then the REAL rain started. Six hours non-stop. Lightning strikes over and over again for several minutes at a time as each CB came through. I lost count at 40 strikes within a mile of me.

                        But the great thing was waking up to glorious sunshine and low humidity, my tent was bone dry by 8:30 am and my shoes were dried out after half an hour on the trail.

                        Ralph

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                        > Hazardous warnings as of 6:40pm tonight
                        >
                        > AT 642 PM PDT...NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE OCCURRING OVER
                        > THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...FOOTHILLS...AND EASTERN SAN JOAQUIN
                        > VALLEY AREAS.
                        >
                        > HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE
                        > EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS...ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
                        > DANGEROUS LIGHTNING.
                        > Chance of rain 60% in Tuolumne and Reds areas tonight, 50% tomorrow, decreasing to 20% Weds and clear by Thursday. Stay safe!

                      • Luke
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 25, 2013
                          RE: "Forecast is for a little rain tomorrow, and then great weather out as far as they can see (which I hope is three weeks)."

                          Hi Ray,

                          Thanks for the on-sight weather report. What source(s) are you using for the future weather forecasts?

                          Thanks, Luke.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 25, 2013
                            Hi Barbara,

                            What weather resource(s) are you getting the forecasts from?

                            Thanks, Luke.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 25, 2013
                              I'm not sure how Barbara does it, but one way to access the NWS
                              warnings is to go to weather.com and search for the location

                              mono hot springs, ca

                              It is near Lakes Edison and Florence, so roughly mid-trial (lower
                              elevation, though, than most of the trail)

                              If there is an active weather warning, weather.com will link you to it
                              near the top of the page

                              Right now (actually 8:30 pm tonight - Sunday) that warning link leads
                              your to this NWS statement

                              ... THUNDERSTORM THREAT RETURNS TO THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERT THIS WEEK...

                              TROPICAL MOISTURE WILL MOVE INTO THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR THIS
                              WEEK AND HELP FUEL THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THE MOISTURE
                              WILL FIRST ARRIVE IN THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS AND DESERT MONDAY THEN
                              SPREAD NORTHWARD INTO THE SIERRA TUESDAY AND LINGER THROUGH THE END OF
                              THE WEEK. ALTHOUGH THUNDERSTORMS WILL GENERALLY BE CONFINED TO THE
                              HIGHER ELEVATIONS... ONE OR TWO THUNDERSTORMS COULD WANDER INTO THE
                              SIERRA FOOTHILLS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

                              IN ADDITION TO DANGEROUS CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING... THUNDERSTORMS
                              CAN BRING HEAVY RAIN AND LOCALIZED FLOODING ALONG WITH GUSTY AND
                              ERRATIC WINDS.

                              HIKERS... CAMPERS AND OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST
                              FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FOR UPDATES ON THIS
                              DEVELOPING PATTERN.

                              Or go to this link and scan down to see if there is a warning for the
                              Sierra between Yosemite and Kings Canyon

                              That page now reads

                              CAZ094-096-097-261200-
                              TULARE COUNTY FOOTHILLS-
                              SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON-
                              TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
                              930 PM PDT SUN AUG 25 2013

                              ...AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE MONDAY THROUGH
                              SATURDAY...

                              THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF
                              THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA AND THE TULARE COUNTY FOOTHILLS.

                              .DAY ONE...TONIGHT

                              NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED.

                              .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

                              AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH SATURDAY.
                              FOR DETAILS PLEASE SEE THE LATEST SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
                              /SFOSPSHNX/.

                              That last reference leads you (via a Google search) to

                              http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?prod=SFOSPSHNX&wfo=cnrfc&version=0

                              which now reads the same as you'd find on the link provided by weather.com

                              Sometimes this weather research feels like more trouble than it's
                              worth. Over the course of a long hike, I figure I'm likely to see some
                              bad weather. Exactly when it appears and how long it lasts isn't all
                              that critical assuming I am ready for it.

                              :

                              .
                              San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                              415-648-9279