Re: Still a few short questions before I'm off

  • longritchie
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 20, 2013
      That's not the official documentation. That's just a web page. If you navigate a bit you can find a lot more detail on the nps website but I don't believe it's all there.

      I also assumed the "can" and "may" legalese idea held until it was pointed out to me that there is a map on the same website that contradicts this. So on the website it's ambiguous. But a number of people asking different rangers all get the same answer: a HI->LYV permit requires you to stay in LYV the first night. The regulation must be written somewhere but maybe not available on-line to the public.

      Here's a question a friend asked me last year. I thought I knew the answer but he convinced me I was wrong. Ready? Under what circumstances do you need a permit to day hike in YNP?

      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 27, 2013
        Helen --

        I still DO need people for the survey and I'll send you soon your copy of a form a e-mail describing the process. I am still working on the questions and half of my e-mail addresses are stuck in a box supposedly coming back from MTR - they are slow getting stuff out due to the lake being drained and the lake bed still too muddy for the truck.

        Meeting you at Wanda Lake was one of the high points of my trip. You were in such a good mood. I picture you as having hiked that way for the entire trail (with the notable exception of the Mtn Lion incident)

        The Mtn Lion story in your blog was totally terrifying. Sounds like you did everything right. Esp. the decision not to use the whistle. If you heard the marmots when a group was being attacked, you know why. There;'s no need to apologize for yor reaction. Ordinarily, mtn lions are very shy. So when one isn't, there's reason to fear that the lion might be unusual in other ways. I wonder if they were unusually stressed this year. Maybe the deer population was low.

        On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM, helen beckers <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from helen beckers included below]

        Hi John!!! I'm going through my pictures and I just tumbled over the ones taken of you and me at Wanda Lake! It really was great meeting you! I'm having a hard time adapting to normal life again and I wished I still was on the trail. I decided to hike the pct in 2015 and I'm really looking forward to that.
        I'm updating my blog day by day now. If you wanna have a look, you can find it here: www.walkingwomad.blogspot.de
        PS: do you still need people for that survey???
        Hope you are doing well!!!!
        Lots of greetings
        Helen aka Cat

        2013/8/18 John Ladd <johnladd@...>

        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Oddly enough there are no additional fire restrictions in Yosemite so you can build one there (below 9600 feet).

        I stand corrected. That's probably correct as to the first few days of a SoBo JMT (to 9600 feet North of Donahue Pass). I do NOT recall hearing of Yosemite NP special restrictions.