Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [John Muir Trail] Sunrise Creek/High Sierra Camp Water

Expand Messages
  • ravi_jmt2013
    Thanks Ray. Hopefully the rain this week will keep the streams flowing well.
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2013
      Thanks Ray. Hopefully the rain this week will keep the streams flowing well.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:
      >
      > Good morning, Ravi,
      >
      > I am in Mammoth, acclimating to the elevation in preparation for my
      > hike that starts Friday. I checked out the bus stop for the YARTS bus
      > this morning and there were a couple of kids there who had just done
      > HI-TM-Donohue Pass-Red's Meadow. They were getting the bus back to the
      > valley.
      >
      > They told me that water was plentiful at Sunrise Creek and that they
      > used the spigot at Sunrise Camp.
      >
      > Hope that true later this week!
      >
      > Good hiking, Ray
      >
    • showersja
      Thanks all for posting about this! I m glad to know that we can count on water at Sunrise Creek.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
        Thanks all for posting about this! I'm glad to know that we can count on water at Sunrise Creek.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:
        >
        > Thanks Ray. Hopefully the rain this week will keep the streams flowing well.
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Good morning, Ravi,
        > >
        > > I am in Mammoth, acclimating to the elevation in preparation for my
        > > hike that starts Friday. I checked out the bus stop for the YARTS bus
        > > this morning and there were a couple of kids there who had just done
        > > HI-TM-Donohue Pass-Red's Meadow. They were getting the bus back to the
        > > valley.
        > >
        > > They told me that water was plentiful at Sunrise Creek and that they
        > > used the spigot at Sunrise Camp.
        > >
        > > Hope that true later this week!
        > >
        > > Good hiking, Ray
        > >
        >
      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
          And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.

          Ken.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "showersja" <jshowers.voss@...> wrote:
          >
          > Thanks all for posting about this! I'm glad to know that we can count on water at Sunrise Creek.
          >
        • sanfran_rwood
          Uh, you can t *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they d turned off
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
            Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

            However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
            --
            Richard


            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:
            >
            > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
            >
            > Ken.
          • cjoslyn99
            I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year. Search for posts from recent trips but I m guessing it ll be the same this year. --- In
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013

              I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year.  Search for posts from recent trips but I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.



              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

              Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

              However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
              --
              Richard


              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:
              >
              > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
              >
              > Ken.
            • cjoslyn99
              Sorry, didn t see the earlier response confirming water availability. I don t like the way they ve reformatted the YG page w/ all the responses hidden. --- In
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013

                Sorry, didn't see the earlier response confirming water availability.  I don't like the way they've reformatted the YG page w/ all the responses hidden.



                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year.  Search for posts from recent trips but I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.



                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

                However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
                --
                Richard


                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:
                >
                > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
                >
                > Ken.
              • Roleigh Martin
                Sunrise Creek intersects the JMT several times. At one of the camp site locations, what one thinks is Sunrise Creek is dry often, such as in 2012 and 2013
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                  Sunrise Creek intersects the JMT several times.  At one of the camp site locations, what one thinks is Sunrise Creek is dry often, such as in 2012 and 2013 (but not 2011).  However, if one just hikes another 1/16th of a mile, there is a creek always with water (but sometimes minimal).  I suspect that second creek is Sunrise and the first is some other, unnamed creek.  This happens at the camp site prior to doing the last mountain prior to getting from the South to Sunrise High Sierra Camp.

                  -------------------------------------------------
                  Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
                  _



                  On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                   

                  I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year.  Search for posts from recent trips but I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.



                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                  Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

                  However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
                  --
                  Richard


                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
                  >
                  > Ken.


                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.