Sunrise Creek/High Sierra Camp Water

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20 7:39 AM
      I know that this topic has come up before but I thought I would ask whether anyone who has been on the trail very recently can confirm water availability in Sunrise Creek near the Clouds Rest junction and/or at the High Sierra Camp. I am planning my first night at the JMT/Clouds Rest junction and hoping that there will be water in Sunrise Creek nearby to avoid hauling water up from Little Yosemite Valley. I'm also hoping that water is available at the High Sierra Camp so I can avoid carrying more water than needed to get to my second night at Cathedral Lakes. I have a total of 110 ounces of capacity to carry water although normally I plan to carry only about 32 ounces if water sources are plentiful.

      My start date is a week from today.

      Thanks.
    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 20 8:07 AM
        I was there a week ago, no problem then with water in that area.

        Ken.

        > I know that this topic has come up before but I thought I would ask whether anyone who has been on the trail very recently can confirm water availability in Sunrise Creek near the Clouds Rest junction and/or at the High Sierra Camp. I am planning my first night at the JMT/Clouds Rest junction and hoping that there will be water in Sunrise Creek nearby to avoid hauling water up from Little Yosemite Valley. I'm also hoping that water is available at the High Sierra Camp so I can avoid carrying more water than needed to get to my second night at Cathedral Lakes. I have a total of 110 ounces of capacity to carry water although normally I plan to carry only about 32 ounces if water sources are plentiful.
        >
        > My start date is a week from today.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Ray Rippel
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 20 9:14 AM
          Good morning, Ravi,

          I am in Mammoth, acclimating to the elevation in preparation for my
          hike that starts Friday. I checked out the bus stop for the YARTS bus
          this morning and there were a couple of kids there who had just done
          HI-TM-Donohue Pass-Red's Meadow. They were getting the bus back to the
          valley.

          They told me that water was plentiful at Sunrise Creek and that they
          used the spigot at Sunrise Camp.

          Hope that true later this week!

          Good hiking, Ray
        • ravi_jmt2013
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20 10:06 AM
            Thanks Ray. Hopefully the rain this week will keep the streams flowing well.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

            > Good morning, Ravi,
            >
            > I am in Mammoth, acclimating to the elevation in preparation for my
            > hike that starts Friday. I checked out the bus stop for the YARTS bus
            > this morning and there were a couple of kids there who had just done
            > HI-TM-Donohue Pass-Red's Meadow. They were getting the bus back to the
            > valley.
            >
            > They told me that water was plentiful at Sunrise Creek and that they
            > used the spigot at Sunrise Camp.
            >
            > Hope that true later this week!
            >
            > Good hiking, Ray

          • showersja
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22 8:20 AM
              Thanks all for posting about this! I'm glad to know that we can count on water at Sunrise Creek.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22 8:45 AM
                And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.

                Ken.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "showersja" <jshowers.voss@...> wrote:

                > Thanks all for posting about this! I'm glad to know that we can count on water at Sunrise Creek.

              • sanfran_rwood
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22 12:56 PM
                  Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

                  However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
                  --
                  Richard

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:

                  > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
                  >
                  > Ken.
                • cjoslyn99
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 22 1:05 PM

                    I saw reports that Sunrise Creek was dry in August last year.  Search for posts from recent trips but I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

                    Uh, you can't *always* count on the High Sierra camps. Last year when I was going by there in early September, water levels were so low that they'd turned off the publicly accessible water tap. It was still possible to hike a quarter-mile or so uphill and get water from the trickle of a stream. I think they were considering bringing drinking water in on the mule train and cancelling very late-season reservations, but that might have just been rumors as we were hiking by.

                    However, it is conceivable that late in a very dry year there would be no water between the Merced and Upper Cathedral Lake.
                    --
                    Richard

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:

                    > And if the creek is running a little low, you can always take the steps up to the High Sierra Camp at Sunrise and use their water tap. It is useful to know that all seven of the High Sierra Camps in the system have`open water taps available to anyone at all times.
                    >
                    > Ken.
                  • cjoslyn99
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 22 1:12 PM

                      Sorry, didn't see the earlier response confirming water availability.  I don't like the way they've reformatted the YG page w/ all the responses hidden.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 22 1:17 PM
                        Sunrise Creek intersects the JMT several times.  At one of the camp site locations, what one thinks is Sunrise Creek is dry often, such as in 2012 and 2013 (but not 2011).  However, if one just hikes another 1/16th of a mile, there is a creek always with water (but sometimes minimal).  I suspect that second creek is Sunrise and the first is some other, unnamed creek.  This happens at the camp site prior to doing the last mountain prior to getting from the South to Sunrise High Sierra Camp.

                        _