Steripen

  • Kyle Arn
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20 6:22 AM
      Has anyone taken only a steripen for water treatment?  I have a filter, and boil my water for meals, but it would be nice to just pull out a steripen to sterlize a bottle of water real quick on the trail and keep moving.  I don't have a steripen yet, but I am considering purchasing one.

      Kyle
    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 20 6:52 AM
        I just use micropur tablets.

        Ken.

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 20 7:21 AM

          I have used a Steripen Opti Adventurer (the same one) for three straight years now without any problems.  I never trust 100% anything electronic though and do replace the batteries at the Muir Trail Ranch (half way point) and bring backup chemical tablets (chlorine dioxide).

          I know some have reported problems with the Steripen but that has not been my experience with the Opti, nor with anyone whom I know uses it.  The professional review at backpackinglight.com was very positive too although they noted the note about being sensitive to how long batteries will last with it.

          I do recommend the $4, one ounce .5 micron pre-filter talked about in the PDF file I uploaded, it is amazing over the length of a JMT hike how much it pre-filters out of "clear" water.

          Roleigh

          _

          On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Kyle Arn <arn.kyle@...> wrote:

          Has anyone taken only a steripen for water treatment?  I have a filter, and boil my water for meals, but it would be nice to just pull out a steripen to sterlize a bottle of water real quick on the trail and keep moving.  I don't have a steripen yet, but I am considering purchasing one.

          Kyle

        • John
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 20 7:39 AM
            When I treat water, that's what I use. This has been the second season for me with the pen, works fast and well. 50 liters per battery is pushing it, count on 40+. You will need a wide mouth transparent bottle. I use a clean cloth (bandana) for pre-filtering lake water.

            JD
            see book here

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Arn wrote:

            > Has anyone taken only a steripen for water treatment?  I have a filter, and boil my water for meals, but it would be nice to just pull out a steripen to sterlize a bottle of water real quick on the trail and keep moving.  I don't have a steripen yet, but I am considering purchasing one.
            >
            > Kyle

          • casey
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 20 8:53 AM
              I use the Steripen Ultra. It's a little heavier than some of the other models. It has rechargable batteries, recharged by usb, I can recharge with my solar charger. Doesn't require a wide mouth container, it will fit inside a standard size water bottle or Platypus bag. You place the end of it in the bottle and turn it upside down, it seals and treats the water, 90 seconds for 1 1/2 liters.

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 20 11:06 AM
                Casey, thanks for mentioning this newer Steripen.  Amazing how many models they have for the outdoors now.  I see one is half the weight of the ultra, the Freedom - http://www.steripen.com/freedom/ -- which also can be charged by a Solar Charger that only handles USB port devices (like the Goal Zero with the Switch 8 recharger, which I used and liked on my 2013 JMT).  True, the Freedom would require a wide-mouth bottle, but I prefer such anyway for my protein and powdered smoothie shakes anyway.

              • casey
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 20 1:31 PM
                  Thanks Roleigh! It's half the weight and half the battery life. The battery life isn't that important, I normally carry a Goal Zero Nomad 3.5 and a Guide 10 Battery Pack. I hate it when I have to upgrade an upgrade in the same season.

                  > Casey, thanks for mentioning this newer Steripen. Amazing how many models
                  > they have for the outdoors now. I see one is half the weight of the ultra,
                  > the Freedom - http://www.steripen.com/freedom/ -- which also can be charged
                  > by a Solar Charger that only handles USB port devices (like the Goal Zero
                  > with the Switch 8 recharger, which I used and liked on my 2013 JMT). True,
                  > the Freedom would require a wide-mouth bottle, but I prefer such anyway for
                  > my protein and powdered smoothie shakes anyway.

                  > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>

                • john_friend
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 20 2:32 PM
                    I've used my Steripen exclusively on several high sierra trips, including my recently completed JMT. I think it's an ideal solution. You get a treated liter of water in 90 seconds, it kills the nasty things like Giardia (unlike some filters), you can drink it immediately (unlike the tablets) and there's no taste. Since the Sierra water is clear to start with, all you're really looking to do in the Sierras is kill the nasty things like Giardia and it seems to me that the Steripen is ideal for that. A filter certainly has its advantages for dirtier water sources, but you don't see that in the Sierra if you're at all selective about your water sources.

                    The manufacturer says that a high quality set of batteries should treat 50 liters. I found that Energizer 0123A (which are Lithium) would do at least that. My battery had not run out by MTR where I put a new set of batteries in and that set took my all the way to Whitney so I used two sets of batteries for an 18 day trip and neither battery set ran out. I figure I got at around 45 liters out of each set (and neither had yet run out). Keep in mind that if you're boiling water at high altitude for meals to purify it, you will want at least a 3 minute rolling boil. At sea level, just getting to a boiling temperature is enough. I personally used purified water for cooking, preferring to use and carry less fuel.

                    I saw many people on the trail with filters that, when seeing me treat water with my Steripen said something like: "I've got to get one of those for my next trip".

                    If you're going solo, then backup is an interesting question. My trip was planned with 3 other people and one of the others brought a second Steripen. When everyone else left the trail at MTR (so I was solo for the second half) and they needed their Steripen as they were getting out of MTR, I decided to proceed without a backup. If I was planning a solo trip, I'd probably take tablets as backup.

                    --John