Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Still a few short questions before I'm off

  • Bill Heiser
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 19, 2013
      The official documentation is here, though it uses words like "can" and "may", so it's not as clear as one might like ...

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lyv.htm

      August 19, 2013 4:00 PM

      -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, longritchie <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Ravi, your interpretation may be correct. But it isn't spelled out explicitly. I could ask rangers and maybe get different answers but somewhere, I would think anyway, the actual rule is written down. Where?
      >
      > As for asking for forgiveness: If you were unlucky enough to be cited and then you contested it in court I would expect them to present your own words here in this group as evidence that you believed it was against the rules.

      Well it is a grey area for sure. Do I go with my interpretation of a map or what an actual Yosemite ranger told me? I would say that the word of a ranger overrules my interpretation of the map prior to speaking to the ranger...

      August 19, 2013 3:57 PM

    Message 42 of 42 , Sep 27, 2013
      Helen --

      I still DO need people for the survey and I'll send you soon your copy of a form a e-mail describing the process. I am still working on the questions and half of my e-mail addresses are stuck in a box supposedly coming back from MTR - they are slow getting stuff out due to the lake being drained and the lake bed still too muddy for the truck.

      Meeting you at Wanda Lake was one of the high points of my trip. You were in such a good mood. I picture you as having hiked that way for the entire trail (with the notable exception of the Mtn Lion incident)

      The Mtn Lion story in your blog was totally terrifying. Sounds like you did everything right. Esp. the decision not to use the whistle. If you heard the marmots when a group was being attacked, you know why. There;'s no need to apologize for yor reaction. Ordinarily, mtn lions are very shy. So when one isn't, there's reason to fear that the lion might be unusual in other ways. I wonder if they were unusually stressed this year. Maybe the deer population was low.

      On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM, helen beckers <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from helen beckers included below]

      Hi John!!! I'm going through my pictures and I just tumbled over the ones taken of you and me at Wanda Lake! It really was great meeting you! I'm having a hard time adapting to normal life again and I wished I still was on the trail. I decided to hike the pct in 2015 and I'm really looking forward to that.
      I'm updating my blog day by day now. If you wanna have a look, you can find it here: www.walkingwomad.blogspot.de
      PS: do you still need people for that survey???
      Hope you are doing well!!!!
      Lots of greetings
      Helen aka Cat

      2013/8/18 John Ladd <johnladd@...>

      On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Oddly enough there are no additional fire restrictions in Yosemite so you can build one there (below 9600 feet).

      I stand corrected. That's probably correct as to the first few days of a SoBo JMT (to 9600 feet North of Donahue Pass). I do NOT recall hearing of Yosemite NP special restrictions.