Highway 120 into Yosemite Valley temporarily closed due to wildfire

  • Bill Heiser
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 19, 2013
      Anyone heading into YV may need to take another route such as Highway 140 via Mariposa.

      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
          Called the Rim Fire. Updates here. Has crossed 120. 0% contained. 10k Acres. 455 firefighters

          On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

          Anyone heading into YV may need to take another route such as Highway 140 via Mariposa.

          http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

        • Ray Rippel

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
              Hwy 120 still closed. I'm sitting in Mariposa right now trying to get back home to the Sacramento area after a hike up Taboose Pass, very bad weather between Manther & Pinchot

              Sent from my iPhone
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Highway 120 into Yosemite Valley, actually Big Oak Flat Road, is open. It is Highway 120 up to the gate, Big Oak Flat Entrance, that is closed. You are still able to go from Yosemite Valley to Crane Flat without any difficulty and over Tioga Pass.

                  > From: YosemiteBlog.com <loyd@...>
                  > Date: Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM
                  > Subject: Yosemite Blog
                  > To: JohnLadd@...
                  >

                  > **
                  > Yosemite Blog <http://yosemiteblog.com>
                  > ------------------------------
                  >
                  > Rim Fire Continues to Burn Out of Control; Highway 120 West Still Closed
                  > into Yosemite<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/yosemiteblog/~3/eDj4zCl5upQ/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

                  > The Rim Fire continues to burn out of control this morning and remains a
                  > pain in the ass to attack due to steep terrain and the inaccessible nature
                  > of the area.
                  >
                  > Here's what's going on:
                  >
                  > - Highway 120 from Groveland to Yosemite is still closed. Use Highway 49.
                  > - Rangers are turning around visitors at the 120 exit of the park.
                  > - Massive evacuations are still in effect from Ferretti Road to Yosemite
                  > National Park's boundary.
                  > - 2 homes and five buildings were lost.
                  > - 2500 other structures are threatened.
                  >
                  > Rain showers helped yesterday halting the spread of the fire in several
                  > directions but the fire is continuing to burn in a southeasterly direction.
                  > The fire is 0% contained.
                  >
                  > Photo courtesy of
                  > EastBayExpress.com<http://www.eastbayexpress.com/SevenDays/archives/2013/08/20/massive-rim-fire-near-yosemite-prompts-evacuations-of-two-camps-popular-with-east-bay-residents>

                • John
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2013
                    This is why 120 is closed. Pretty impressive footage. http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/raw-video-dramatic-footage-of-the-out-of-control/v9dK9/

                    JD
                    see book here

                  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 22, 2013
                      This is tragic, I feel for the animals who get caught up in this.

                      Ken.

                      > This is why 120 is closed. Pretty impressive footage.
                      > http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/raw-video-dramatic-footage-of-the-out-of\
                      > -control/v9dK9/
                      > <http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/raw-video-dramatic-footage-of-the-out-o\
                      > f-control/v9dK9/>
                    • Erica
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 22, 2013
                        Does anyone have any word of smoke conditions in the Valley or up to TM?
                      • Jim Ringland
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 22, 2013

                          The webcams at http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams don't show much smoke at the moment.

                          Jim Ringland

                          Does anyone have any word of smoke conditions in the Valley or up to TM?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
                            Looks like the Rim Fire has the potential to force closure of the Sonora Pass Road (CA 108) as well as 120. I'm headed over 108 on Wednesday for my Northbound JMT hike and it's possible fire could force me to make a big loop via US 50 and CA 88-89. Hard to feel justifiably annoyed, though, with so many people with worse worries.

                            http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

                            I apologize for the cross-posting both here and on the Facebook group. But if you were planning on using Sonora Pass this week, you might confirm that it is still open right before you leave. You can call 1-800.427.7623 for a nice automated system of current road conditions or go to

                            http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

                            On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

                            Anyone heading into YV may need to take another route such as Highway 140 via Mariposa.

                            http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

                          • john_friend
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
                              If you're trying to get to Whitney Portal from the SF Bay Area, it might make more sense to go down to Bakersfield, around the southern end of the Sierras and up 395. It's more miles, but faster than even 108. When we drove back to the SF Bay Area from Whitney Portal, that's how we went and it worked out well. It's not as pretty as other ways (some desolate desert in some parts), but it's a lot more freeway and no big mountains to go over and no RVs to get stuck behind.

                              --John

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
                                John, how long did that take you? I'm wondering if that might work for another trip next year.

                                Ken.

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > If you're trying to get to Whitney Portal from the SF Bay Area, it might make more sense to go down to Bakersfield, around the southern end of the Sierras and up 395. It's more miles, but faster than even 108. When we drove back to the SF Bay Area from Whitney Portal, that's how we went and it worked out well. It's not as pretty as other ways (some desolate desert in some parts), but it's a lot more freeway and no big mountains to go over and no RVs to get stuck behind.

                              • Aaron Tjogas
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
                                  Hi All,
                                  Rim Fire is really big 125,000+ acres.
                                  It appears that Yosemite is temporarily not issuing wilderness permits. Is this correct?
                                  The fire appears to be 5% contained.
                                  I'm departing on the JMT Wednesday, I'm thinking I should be ok, but I don't want to be stuck in a smokey haze if the wind changes direction.
                                  Any thoughts?
                                  Thank you,
                                  Aaron
                                • john_friend
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 24, 2013
                                    It took us about 6-1/2 hrs from the hotel in Lone Pine to our house near Palo Alto in the Bay Area taking 395 south and then over to Bakersfield and then cutting over to I-5 (stopped once for gas and once for bathroom/snacks).

                                    Google predicts slightly longer time (but fewer miles) taking 108 over the mountains to 395 and I know from experience that the 108 route is a bit more unpredictable due to slow moving vacation traffic. The southern route is just 395 and then pretty much all freeway after that.

                                    --John

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 25, 2013
                                      Thanks.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 26, 2013