hiker shuttle from TM to YV

  • tamirph
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2013
      We are getting a shuttle up to TM and then going to take a bus to YV. I know Yarts leaves TM around 10:15 and gets in a little after noon. This is our plan but if something happens and we don't catch that shuttle, I was looking into the hiker's shuttle that leaves around 2. I called 209-372-4386 and was told you just flag down the bus. I was under the impression that you could reserve a ticket on the hiker bus. Anyone ever use the hiker bus? The whole phone conversation was very strange.
      Thanks!
    • Donovan Sarka
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
        There is a free hiker shuttle that goes from TM Lodge to Tenaya Lake, making stops along the way. This is handled by DNC, the park concessionar.  There is a paid bus that goes from the Valley to TM and return, also by DNC, and another by YARTS. I suspect using the word "shuttle" is confusing to the phone rep. In YNP, the word shuttle denotes a free ride.

        On Monday, August 19, 2013, tamirph wrote:

        We are getting a shuttle up to TM and then going to take a bus to YV. I know Yarts leaves TM around 10:15 and gets in a little after noon. This is our plan but if something happens and we don't catch that shuttle, I was looking into the hiker's shuttle that leaves around 2. I called 209-372-4386 and was told you just flag down the bus. I was under the impression that you could reserve a ticket on the hiker bus. Anyone ever use the hiker bus? The whole phone conversation was very strange.
        Thanks!

      • deniseflygirl
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
          I was able to reserve it last year when I took it from the valley (I got on at Yosemite Lodge & got off at Cathedral TH that time).

          But if you want to get on somewhere else down the line, you just get on at a designated spot. Last week I got on at White Wolf & got off at TM Store. I had called ahead of time to see if it was reservable if catching at WW & they said no. Just get on. The bus was fairly full but still had space for my friend & me (with some to spare).
          The website says you can flag it from any trailhead, but I would play it safe and do so at one of its designated stops.
          http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx
          I wish you could reserve from any spot if you know you will be there for it. Cuz if it IS full, what options do you have? Hitching, I guess. But so far I haven't had a problem.