Re: Still a few short questions before I'm off

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 19, 2013
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, longritchie <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I've only heard that you are required to camp at LYV if you have the Happy Isles to LYV permit instead of HI->Pass-thru or HI->Illouette. If you're starting at GPA there is no pass through.
      >
      > I share your dismay with the way that regulations are sometimes confusing, not communicated consistently and enforced unevenly. Is there anyplace one could go to actually read the regulations?

      Based on my initial reading of the wilderness permit trailhead map (pdf) file, my interpretation is that the GP>>LYV permit requires a night to be spent at LYV:

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/Wilderness-Trailheads_07-14-2013_28x38-1.pdf

      The reason for my interpretation is twofold: First, the relevant trailhead (3A) states that one camps the first night at Little Yosemite Valley. Second, the blue line representing the trailhead ends in a circle at LYV whereas permits allowing dispersed camping end in an arrow at the first point where one may legally camp.

      Note that the HI>>LYV permit (1B) has the exact same features on the map ... a statement that one camps the first night at LYV and the orange line ends in a circle at LYV. To me, the regulations for both quotas appears identical on paper.

      However, when I brought up these concerns with the permit office for the GP permit, I was assured that I can proceed beyond LYV on my first night so that's what I'm going with and not planning to ask further questions. If the ranger who issues my permit tells me that I'm required to camp at LYV, I will reference the conversation with the ranger but ultimately follow whatever they tell me to do.

      Much about the permit system doesn't make sense to me but compared to Grand Canyon and the Smokies there is way more freedom in the backcountry once the permit is issued, at least after the first night so I can't complain too much ...
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 27, 2013
        Helen --

        I still DO need people for the survey and I'll send you soon your copy of a form a e-mail describing the process. I am still working on the questions and half of my e-mail addresses are stuck in a box supposedly coming back from MTR - they are slow getting stuff out due to the lake being drained and the lake bed still too muddy for the truck.

        Meeting you at Wanda Lake was one of the high points of my trip. You were in such a good mood. I picture you as having hiked that way for the entire trail (with the notable exception of the Mtn Lion incident)

        The Mtn Lion story in your blog was totally terrifying. Sounds like you did everything right. Esp. the decision not to use the whistle. If you heard the marmots when a group was being attacked, you know why. There;'s no need to apologize for yor reaction. Ordinarily, mtn lions are very shy. So when one isn't, there's reason to fear that the lion might be unusual in other ways. I wonder if they were unusually stressed this year. Maybe the deer population was low.

        On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM, helen beckers <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from helen beckers included below]

        Hi John!!! I'm going through my pictures and I just tumbled over the ones taken of you and me at Wanda Lake! It really was great meeting you! I'm having a hard time adapting to normal life again and I wished I still was on the trail. I decided to hike the pct in 2015 and I'm really looking forward to that.
        I'm updating my blog day by day now. If you wanna have a look, you can find it here: www.walkingwomad.blogspot.de
        PS: do you still need people for that survey???
        Hope you are doing well!!!!
        Lots of greetings
        Helen aka Cat

        2013/8/18 John Ladd <johnladd@...>

        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Oddly enough there are no additional fire restrictions in Yosemite so you can build one there (below 9600 feet).

        I stand corrected. That's probably correct as to the first few days of a SoBo JMT (to 9600 feet North of Donahue Pass). I do NOT recall hearing of Yosemite NP special restrictions.