Re: Still a few short questions before I'm off

  • longritchie
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 18 12:25 PM
      It doesn't hurt to ask, but what I've been told by wilderness rangers in Yosemite is that the HI->LYV permit requires you to spend the first night at Little Yos Valley. This was implemented because the closet legal camping to the Half Dome trail was being severely impacted.

      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 27, 2013
        Helen --

        I still DO need people for the survey and I'll send you soon your copy of a form a e-mail describing the process. I am still working on the questions and half of my e-mail addresses are stuck in a box supposedly coming back from MTR - they are slow getting stuff out due to the lake being drained and the lake bed still too muddy for the truck.

        Meeting you at Wanda Lake was one of the high points of my trip. You were in such a good mood. I picture you as having hiked that way for the entire trail (with the notable exception of the Mtn Lion incident)

        The Mtn Lion story in your blog was totally terrifying. Sounds like you did everything right. Esp. the decision not to use the whistle. If you heard the marmots when a group was being attacked, you know why. There;'s no need to apologize for yor reaction. Ordinarily, mtn lions are very shy. So when one isn't, there's reason to fear that the lion might be unusual in other ways. I wonder if they were unusually stressed this year. Maybe the deer population was low.

        On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM, helen beckers <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from helen beckers included below]

        Hi John!!! I'm going through my pictures and I just tumbled over the ones taken of you and me at Wanda Lake! It really was great meeting you! I'm having a hard time adapting to normal life again and I wished I still was on the trail. I decided to hike the pct in 2015 and I'm really looking forward to that.
        I'm updating my blog day by day now. If you wanna have a look, you can find it here: www.walkingwomad.blogspot.de
        PS: do you still need people for that survey???
        Hope you are doing well!!!!
        Lots of greetings
        Helen aka Cat

        2013/8/18 John Ladd <johnladd@...>

        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Oddly enough there are no additional fire restrictions in Yosemite so you can build one there (below 9600 feet).

        I stand corrected. That's probably correct as to the first few days of a SoBo JMT (to 9600 feet North of Donahue Pass). I do NOT recall hearing of Yosemite NP special restrictions.