Re: [John Muir Trail] BART/Amtrak connection - SFO vs OAK

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013

      On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:
      Do you think that it would be better if I take BART from SFO to the Embarcadero stop and then transfer to the Amtrak bus to Emeryville rather than switching BART lines to Richmond and then connecting with the Amtrak train?

      I would do it that way assuming they have a bus running at the time you need, as I assume they will. Richmond can feel a bit dicey while the relevant points in SF and Emeryville are very civilized.

      The best SF Amtrak station and bus stop is just to the right of the Ferry Building (prominent tower at the NE end of Market Street).  If you have time to kill, walk over to the nearby Exploratorium and go up to the Map room.

      AMTRAK Railroad Passenger Station
      101 The Embarcadero #200
      San Francisco, CA 94105
      (415) 546-4555

      Exploratorium
      15/17 Pier
      San Francisco, CA 94111
      (415) 528-4444

    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013

        > I would do it that way assuming they have a bus running at the time you
        > need, as I assume they will. Richmond can feel a bit dicey while the
        > relevant points in SF and Emeryville are very civilized.

        Thanks, I will do it this way. There is a connecting bus available for the afternoon departure just like in the morning.
      • sjweaver29
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
          I'm driving from the bay area, leaving very early (2am) on the 26th. If that seems like a better option for you and you're interested, send me an email.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" wrote:

          > My original plan was to spend a couple of nights in San Francisco prior to the trip and then catch the Amtrak bus at the Ferry building connecting to the train at Emeryville. However, my plans have changed and I am no longer planned to stay in San Francisco. I am scheduled to fly into San Jose and will spend one night in the South Bay (I used to live in the South Bay). The next morning I have some plans and will then drive to either SFO or Oakland to return my rental car and catch BART to Richmond where I will connect with the early afternoon Amtrak to Merced and then take the 5:30pm YARTS to Yosemite.
          >
          > My question is whether it would be easier to return my rental car at SFO or Oakland. SFO seems to have an easier connection to BART with a station right at the airport while Oakland requires a shuttle to the BART station. However, at Oakland, I can catch a direct BART train to Richmond. If I get on BART at SFO, it looks like I will have to transfer to another line to get to Richmond. It is probably a tossup but I thought I would ask anyway...

        • sanfran_rwood
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
            I find this quite amusing. Yeah, I agree that Richmond's BART station can feel "a bit dicey" — Richmond is about as bad as the Bay Area gets. But my immediate reaction is to notice the parallel with bears in the wilderness. The statistics will tell you that neither is likely to be a problem, and even less so if you exercise a modicum of caution (e.g., anywhere on the BART system it would be wise to tuck your iPhone completely away, and stay very aware of your surroundings).

            The Amtrak bus trip from San Francisco is quite comfortable, but taking that option will cost you something like a half an hour extra time. If you're pressed for time, I'd gently encourage you to realize we actually live in a phenomenally safe world and that the dicey-ness is merely an unsavory albeit salutary reminder of the breadth of our society.

            (Oh, but I'd second the pointer to the newly reopened Exploratorium. It's the forerunner of all the places like it, and it's just been renovated and reconstructed. It's a marvel and a delight.)
            --
            Richard

            > On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...>wrote:
            >
            > > Do you think that it would be better if I take BART from SFO to the
            > > Embarcadero stop and then transfer to the Amtrak bus to Emeryville rather
            > > than switching BART lines to Richmond and then connecting with the Amtrak
            > > train?
            >

            > I would do it that way assuming they have a bus running at the time you
            > need, as I assume they will. Richmond can feel a bit dicey while the
            > relevant points in SF and Emeryville are very civilized.
            >
            > The best SF Amtrak station and bus stop is just to the right of the Ferry
            > Building (prominent tower at the NE end of Market Street). If you have
            > time to kill, walk over to the nearby Exploratorium and go up to the Map
            > room.
          • ravi_jmt2013
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
              Some information that may be useful for others renting a car prior to leaving for Yosemite on Amtrak in San Francisco: Avis has a rental car location at the Hyatt Regency which is a couple of blocks from the Amtrak location. They have limited hours but no additional fees to drop there vs. SFO or Oakland. This is going to save quite a bit of time not to mention the logistics of dealing with the airport shuttle bus and BART.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
                Heads up:

                The old Bay Bridge (SF to Oakland) closes on evening of Wednesday Aug 28 and the new span does not open until Tuesday morning Sept 3. BART (our subway) will be working, but I assume the Amtrak shuttle buses will not.