JMT in 7 Days (TM-->Mt. Whitney)

  • apspds@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
      Hi All,

      Well, I finished my hike on Monday (8/12) morning and am just now getting around to posting....

      It was amazing....each and every step and each and every day....

      I've seen so much discussion over the years on "fast-packing" and all the emotion surrounding it.  I've never hiked a long trail in such a short time.  I've hiked the AT, the TRT, the CT, the WT, and the JMT once before.  I know my gear....I know my body...  I started backpacking long before the advent of "lightweight gear" and have embraced it's many changes over the past 15 years.

      And here I sit....not wanting to label myself as a "fast-packer" but for that matter...not wanting to label myself anything....and then also...not really thinking that any of the "labels" we put on each other really mean much at all.

      I started the JMT at 6:00 PM on 8/4 and hiked all night from TM to Thousand Island Lake.  I saw 3 bear, too many deer to count, and shooting stars all night.  I arrived at Thousand Island Lake in time to see the sky start to light and stayed awake long enough to enjoy the entire sunrise....It was magical....  I slept for 4 hours, went for a swim, and then hiked to Red Meadows.  Thirty-something miles to my first campsite.

      Each subsequent day I did the same things.... started hiking at 4:00 AM....saw TONS of morning wildlife...went for two lake swims a day....hiked two passes a day....stopped and talked to SOOO many people including: PCT hikers, JMT Hikers, Day Hikers, Weekenders, CCC Trail Crews, NPS workers at Muir Hut, Ranger Dave on Glen Pass, Rangers Erica, Rick, and Susan on the trail.......  I hiked about 30 miles each day....watched the sunset...and found a place to lay down under the starts to sleep.

      It was the most physically demanding thing I've probably ever done....but I did it the way I wanted to do it.....

      The wildlife, the miles, the people, the swimming (yes that was me swimming in Guitar Lake)....were some of the most special time I've ever spent in my 45 years.

      I'm a lucky man.....  We should all be lucky enough to be able to just "hike your own hike."....

      Peace, Love, Courage.....
    • Jo T
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
        This is awesome!
        My favorite part of this group is reading about everyone's experience after.
        I'm glad your trip was all you wanted it to be.

        Happy Hiking!
        JoT.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
          Interesting idea about rising so early to hike. I am a very early
          riser at home, usually getting up at around 3:30 a.m. On the trail I
          am more of a 630 to 7 guy. I may have to try earlier starts because I
          love to see the wildlife.
        • climbskihikebike
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
            Congrats and well done! I love the early morning starts too...seeing the sunrise and sunset on the trail every day...makes it extra special especially if you are solo.

            I hiked the whole trail in about 7 days last year and had an amazing experience also...thanks for posting about your trip!

            Allen

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            > Well, I finished my hike on Monday (8/12) morning and am just now
            > getting around to posting....
            > It was amazing....each and every step and each and every day....
            > I've seen so much discussion over the years on "fast-packing" and all
            > the emotion surrounding it. I've never hiked a long trail in such a
            > short time. I've hiked the AT, the TRT, the CT, the WT, and the JMT
            > once before. I know my gear....I know my body... I started backpacking
            > long before the advent of "lightweight gear" and have embraced it's many
            > changes over the past 15 years.
            > And here I sit....not wanting to label myself as a "fast-packer" but for
            > that matter...not wanting to label myself anything....and then
            > also...not really thinking that any of the "labels" we put on each other
            > really mean much at all.
            > I started the JMT at 6:00 PM on 8/4 and hiked all night from TM to
            > Thousand Island Lake. I saw 3 bear, too many deer to count, and
            > shooting stars all night. I arrived at Thousand Island Lake in time to
            > see the sky start to light and stayed awake long enough to enjoy the
            > entire sunrise....It was magical.... I slept for 4 hours, went for a
            > swim, and then hiked to Red Meadows. Thirty-something miles to my first
            > campsite.
            > Each subsequent day I did the same things.... started hiking at 4:00
            > AM....saw TONS of morning wildlife...went for two lake swims a
            > day....hiked two passes a day....stopped and talked to SOOO many people
            > including: PCT hikers, JMT Hikers, Day Hikers, Weekenders, CCC Trail
            > Crews, NPS workers at Muir Hut, Ranger Dave on Glen Pass, Rangers Erica,
            > Rick, and Susan on the trail....... I hiked about 30 miles each
            > day....watched the sunset...and found a place to lay down under the
            > starts to sleep.
            > It was the most physically demanding thing I've probably ever
            > done....but I did it the way I wanted to do it.....
            > The wildlife, the miles, the people, the swimming (yes that was me
            > swimming in Guitar Lake)....were some of the most special time I've ever
            > spent in my 45 years.
            > I'm a lucky man..... We should all be lucky enough to be able to just
            > "hike your own hike."....
            > Peace, Love, Courage.....

          • upthebeach
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
              Congratulations and well done! One question: how were the bugs?

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              > Well, I finished my hike on Monday (8/12) morning and am just now
              > getting around to posting....
              > It was amazing....each and every step and each and every day....
              > I've seen so much discussion over the years on "fast-packing" and all
              > the emotion surrounding it. I've never hiked a long trail in such a
              > short time. I've hiked the AT, the TRT, the CT, the WT, and the JMT
              > once before. I know my gear....I know my body... I started backpacking
              > long before the advent of "lightweight gear" and have embraced it's many
              > changes over the past 15 years.
              > And here I sit....not wanting to label myself as a "fast-packer" but for
              > that matter...not wanting to label myself anything....and then
              > also...not really thinking that any of the "labels" we put on each other
              > really mean much at all.
              > I started the JMT at 6:00 PM on 8/4 and hiked all night from TM to
              > Thousand Island Lake. I saw 3 bear, too many deer to count, and
              > shooting stars all night. I arrived at Thousand Island Lake in time to
              > see the sky start to light and stayed awake long enough to enjoy the
              > entire sunrise....It was magical.... I slept for 4 hours, went for a
              > swim, and then hiked to Red Meadows. Thirty-something miles to my first
              > campsite.
              > Each subsequent day I did the same things.... started hiking at 4:00
              > AM....saw TONS of morning wildlife...went for two lake swims a
              > day....hiked two passes a day....stopped and talked to SOOO many people
              > including: PCT hikers, JMT Hikers, Day Hikers, Weekenders, CCC Trail
              > Crews, NPS workers at Muir Hut, Ranger Dave on Glen Pass, Rangers Erica,
              > Rick, and Susan on the trail....... I hiked about 30 miles each
              > day....watched the sunset...and found a place to lay down under the
              > starts to sleep.
              > It was the most physically demanding thing I've probably ever
              > done....but I did it the way I wanted to do it.....
              > The wildlife, the miles, the people, the swimming (yes that was me
              > swimming in Guitar Lake)....were some of the most special time I've ever
              > spent in my 45 years.
              > I'm a lucky man..... We should all be lucky enough to be able to just
              > "hike your own hike."....
              > Peace, Love, Courage.....

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2013
                Nicely done! Any chance to get a gear list and food choices? I too tend to start early and hike late with several swim breaks in the middle of the day. I am always curious as to what other 'fast packers' use for nutrition/food. I am always amazed at the increased wildlife I see when starting later and/or hiking at night. Hiking I the Sierras at night is an under appreciated treat, IMO. I am also curious on your choice of footwear. The trail runners I have used for a couple of years now have been discontinued by Montrail, ( AT Plus ), and I am looking for a suitable replacement. I have bought several close out pairs from STP, but will eventually have to find a new model. Again, nice job!
              • apspds@pacbell.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
                  Got an email address Robert?  I'll shoot you my gear list....
                  Not sure how to attach it to the forum...not seeing the ability to attach a fle...

                  :)
                  Adam

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
                    If you want to send it to me, I can upload your gear list to our "Gear List" files area. Or upload it there yourself.

                    Food lists here

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
                      I took this picture of someone on August 12 who said he finished his JMT in 7 days, is this you?

                      Again, super congrats!

                      Inline image 1

                      _

                      On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM, apspds@... <apspds@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Luke
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 25, 2013
                        Impressive! Yes, early starts afford mingling with the wildlife. Could you also email me your gear and food list?

                        Thanks, Luke.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 25, 2013
                          Opps, forgot to include my email: untilthenlwt@.... Impressive! Yes, early starts afford mingling with the wildlife. Could you also