Re: [John Muir Trail] Request for suggestions on hiking individual sections with friends and family

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
      On my JMT exceursion, I met a father/son that had parked at North Lake, hiked over Piute Pass and down Piute Creek to the JMT, were going up Evolution Valley, over Muir Pass, then out Dusy Basin and over Bishop Pass to South Lake and would then hitch back to North Lake. There's probably no need for them to help you with resupply on that route because Piute Creek is near Muir Trail Ranch, but Evolution Valley is quite beautiful.

      Personally, I think Rae Lakes are amazingly beautiful so if I was going one of these segments, I'd probably want to do the Rae Lakes Loop http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm which is accessed from the west rather than the east and is a complete loop so there's no transportation issue.

      --John

      > South Lake, Dusy Basin to JMT then take JMT to Kearsage Pass Trail and
      > shuttle or hitch back to trail

    • Jgoring1
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
        I'd recommend the onion valley/kearsarge pass and out with you via Whitney portal.   Perfect point for them to bring you your last 4 days of food(or so).  Meet up at vidette.  Plus, it's a spectacular part of the trail. Our friends did this for us 2 yrs back.  They hired a shuttle and left their car at Whitney portal.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Aug 17, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Adam Bearson <abearson@...> wrote:

        We are planning a 28 day JMT tour in July/August 2014 and would like to invite friends and family to meet with us (resupply!), hike a section or two, and head home at various points (they have 1 week or so). People are asking how it will be possible to park, hike and return to their original car without doing out and backs, and I would like to help advise them about best practices, but have no experience with the trail. Can anyone suggest strategies for doing specific individual sections? What are the best places to meet for two-five day sections? Thank you for any responses that you may have.

        Adam Bearson

      • casey
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
          If you choose the Onion Valley idea contact Dee at Pine Creek Pack Station. When I went out for an unexpected resupply she was able to arrange for my pack to be hauled back over Kearsage Pass to the junction with the JMT for $100. I cheated and rode a mule back to the junction for another $190. They were doing two other resupplies the same day so the costs were shared.