Request for suggestions on hiking individual sections with friends and family

  • Adam Bearson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
      We are planning a 28 day JMT tour in July/August 2014 and would like to invite friends and family to meet with us (resupply!), hike a section or two, and head home at various points (they have 1 week or so). People are asking how it will be possible to park, hike and return to their original car without doing out and backs, and I would like to help advise them about best practices, but have no experience with the trail. Can anyone suggest strategies for doing specific individual sections? What are the best places to meet for two-five day sections? Thank you for any responses that you may have.

      Adam Bearson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
        These work

        Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows - bus back to Valley

        Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile/Mammoth Lakes - bus back to TM

        Mammoth Lakes/Devils Postpile/Reds Meadow to Duck Pass Trail and return to Mammoth Lakes via local bus

        Mammoth Lakes/Devils Postpile/Reds Meadow to Mono Creek Trail, return to West side (Mosquito Flat Trailhead) and hitch and bus back to Mammoth

        (from the West side) Vermillion Valley Resort to Muir Trail Ranch and hike/ferry/hitch back to Vermillion

        (from the West) Muir Trail Ranch to Wanda Lake - return to MTR via Goddard Canyon (some cross-country required to get over to Goddard)

        various combinations involving North Lake, South Lake and Dusy Basin (Google these)

        South Lake, Dusy Basin to JMT then take JMT to Kearsage Pass Trail and shuttle or hitch back to trail

        (from West) Rae Lakes Loop clockwise - meet you at Woods Creek, leave you at Bubbs Creek

        Onion Valley Trailhead over Kearsage Pass and hike with you to Whitney Portal

        Best options probably would involve East Side Sierra Shuttle -- have them shuttle your friends from their car (left at an east side exit trailhead) to their east side entry trailhead - then they walk toward their car

        On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Adam Bearson <abearson@...> wrote:

        We are planning a 28 day JMT tour in July/August 2014 and would like to invite friends and family to meet with us (resupply!), hike a section or two, and head home at various points (they have 1 week or so). People are asking how it will be possible to park, hike and return to their original car without doing out and backs, and I would like to help advise them about best practices, but have no experience with the trail. Can anyone suggest strategies for doing specific individual sections? What are the best places to meet for two-five day sections? Thank you for any responses that you may have.

        Adam Bearson

      • john_friend
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
          On my JMT exceursion, I met a father/son that had parked at North Lake, hiked over Piute Pass and down Piute Creek to the JMT, were going up Evolution Valley, over Muir Pass, then out Dusy Basin and over Bishop Pass to South Lake and would then hitch back to North Lake. There's probably no need for them to help you with resupply on that route because Piute Creek is near Muir Trail Ranch, but Evolution Valley is quite beautiful.

          Personally, I think Rae Lakes are amazingly beautiful so if I was going one of these segments, I'd probably want to do the Rae Lakes Loop http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm which is accessed from the west rather than the east and is a complete loop so there's no transportation issue.

          --John

          > South Lake, Dusy Basin to JMT then take JMT to Kearsage Pass Trail and
          > shuttle or hitch back to trail

        • Jgoring1
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
            I'd recommend the onion valley/kearsarge pass and out with you via Whitney portal.   Perfect point for them to bring you your last 4 days of food(or so).  Meet up at vidette.  Plus, it's a spectacular part of the trail. Our friends did this for us 2 yrs back.  They hired a shuttle and left their car at Whitney portal.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Aug 17, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Adam Bearson <abearson@...> wrote:

            We are planning a 28 day JMT tour in July/August 2014 and would like to invite friends and family to meet with us (resupply!), hike a section or two, and head home at various points (they have 1 week or so). People are asking how it will be possible to park, hike and return to their original car without doing out and backs, and I would like to help advise them about best practices, but have no experience with the trail. Can anyone suggest strategies for doing specific individual sections? What are the best places to meet for two-five day sections? Thank you for any responses that you may have.

            Adam Bearson

          • casey
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
              If you choose the Onion Valley idea contact Dee at Pine Creek Pack Station. When I went out for an unexpected resupply she was able to arrange for my pack to be hauled back over Kearsage Pass to the junction with the JMT for $100. I cheated and rode a mule back to the junction for another $190. They were doing two other resupplies the same day so the costs were shared.