Finished JMT Today

  • Oz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
      First I'd like to thank everyone for their tips. It made the hike so much easier to prepare for and complete. Left on the 31st.

      I have however found myself in a predicament. I can't seem to find an email explaining how to get out of Lone Pine.

      I'm sitting at the Dow Villa and have been told the only way out of here is on a bus that leaves here to Reno where I can get a greyhound to San Fran. I'm being told This bus only leaves Monday, Tuesday and Thursday which means I'm stuck here for 3 nights.

      Is this bus that has been talked about before on the list or is there another option?
    • Gail
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
        If you can get to Mammoth (perhaps someone else at the Dow Villa has just come off the trail and is driving north, or perhaps you could hitchhike?), you can do it. YARTS (http://yarts.com/schedules.html) runs 7 days a week from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley, and then from Yosemite Valley to Merced (layover of about 3 hours in Yosemite Valley, I think). From Merced you can take either Amtrak or Greyhound to San Francisco. This could all be done in one very long day, but only if you caught the 8 a.m. YARTS in Mammoth, so as a practical matter you'd probably have to stay overnight in Mammoth. (Be sure to take the 8 a.m. YARTS from Mammoth. There are three YARTS buses daily into Yosemite but only the 8 a.m. one goes all the way to the Valley.)

        (ESTA runs from Lone Pine to Mammoth, sometimes with a transfer in Bishop, every weekday, but since this is Friday night that won't do you any good.)

        If you decide to just wait, enjoy the hot tub at the Dow Villa :-).

        Gail

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
          ESTA has many buses, see http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes - for instance had you gotten into Lone Pine by 5pm on Friday, you could have taken the northbound from Lone Pine bus, Mammoth Lakes-Lancaster, which runs MTWThF.

          I believe you were referring to the Lone Pine to Reno bus in your original email but it runs M,T,Th,F, not M, T, TH only..

          If I was in your shoes, I'd go to the general store in the morning and buy a large white plain sheet of poster paper and a sharpie and make a sign, "HIKER TO YOSE--WILL HELP PAY 4 GAS"

          You should be able to get a ride towards Yosemite and/or SF within 30 minutes.  I've used the technique twice in the last 3 years successfully.

          Which

          _

          On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Oz <trailtickles@...> wrote:

          First I'd like to thank everyone for their tips. It made the hike so much easier to prepare for and complete. Left on the 31st.

          I have however found myself in a predicament. I can't seem to find an email explaining how to get out of Lone Pine.

          I'm sitting at the Dow Villa and have been told the only way out of here is on a bus that leaves here to Reno where I can get a greyhound to San Fran. I'm being told This bus only leaves Monday, Tuesday and Thursday which means I'm stuck here for 3 nights.

          Is this bus that has been talked about before on the list or is there another option?

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
            You can also take the southbound ESTA bus, departing McDonalds MWF at 9:40 to Mojave Carl's Jr., arriving 12:05 pm, then at 1:50 pm catch the Amtrak Thruway bus from Mojave to Bakersfield, then from Bakersfield catch the Amtrak San Joaquin train to Oakland (or Richmond BART)

            I hear Lone Pine is lovely at this time of year....

            If you can get yourself to Mammoth, you can take the YARTS bus to Yosemite Valley that leaves at 8:00 am from the Mammoth Mountain Inn and arrives in the Valley at 12:05 pm. That runs seven days a week until the end of the month.

            If you don't get to Mammoth until later in the morning, there is a YARTS bus leaving at 10:45 am (7 days/week through the end of August), which arrives TM at 12:55, then you can take the hikers bus ($$$) from TM to the Valley, departing at 2:05 pm. For reservations for the hiker's bus, call (209) 372-4FUN (4386).