Re: Nubee's equipment list - please critique

  • casey
    Message 1 of 73 , Aug 16, 2013
      Might take a day or two, I'll find some.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      > My McGyver-like tendencies are totally intrigued by your tarp setup.
      > Any chance at a picture?
      >
      > JoT.

    • Frank D
      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 16, 2013
        Talking about tarps can be confusing on a Nubee thread. When someone says tarp they may mean a flat tarp or they may be talking about a fully enclosed single wall shelter or something in between. The term tarp-tent is often used to describe something between a shaped tarp and a traditional double walled tent. My perspective comes from being old enough to remember when none of our tents had floors, bug netting or double walls. A tarp was a flat piece of canvas.

        Their are trade offs with the different types. Generally the closer one gets to a flat tarp the more knowledge and experience is needed, but there can be considerable weight savings. The free standing double wall tent is easier to use, but heavier.

        Snap