Re: [John Muir Trail] Nubee's equipment list - please critique

  • Frank D
    Message 1 of 73 , Aug 15, 2013
      Michael,

      Weight will matter.

      I haven't used one but the BearVault 500 is a little bigger and a little lighter than the Garcia for only a few dollars more. REI sells both so maybe you can change your order.
      I use the Bearikade but I carried  it for months so it was worth the over $200 to save a half a poung. Bearikade and maybe BearVault have rental programs. The park service use to rent Garcia so you could look into that option too.

      Snap

      On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:40 AM, Michael <malapp1@...> wrote:

      We have purchased all but the sleeping bags and SterPEN.  I plan to take Aqua Mira along in Suzy's pack.  Hers is a lot lighter than mine.  I bought the tent on EBay and the Foot Print came with it.  I was able to save a lot of money on a new tent that had been opened and setup at an outdoor store.  I haven't received the Bear Canister from REI yet.  I don't mind spending the money on a lighter one.  We have never hiked in the mountains, so we really don't know the effect of a couple pounds in our packs.  We can walk long distances here in Florida but there are no hill's to climb.  Thoughts?

      Michael

      On Aug 15, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Frank D <nccctsd.groups@...> wrote:

      For comparison purposes don't include water or food in your base pack weight. Are you including a pint (8 oz) or 3 liters (>3 lbs)?

      Are there other things on your list other than a steripen that you haven't gotten yet? My comments will assume you're not committed yet to anything on the list yet. You could save some weight a lot of the listed items with other choices.

      Foot print Sierra Designs
      I'm not a fan of tent specific footprints which always seem to be heavy and expensive. I prefer 2-3 mil plastic sheeting. Tyvek is another option commonly used.

      Water Purifier SteriPEN Freedom
      My current preference is the Sawyer squeeze. I also take a little Aqua Mira for backup or in case the water looks really bad (not likely on the JMT). I have to disagree with the previous "Filters won't fail" statement. Filters do fail.

      Bladder Osprey Hydraulics Reservoir - 3 Liter
      Osprey lists the weight at 11 oz. Think of it as 3/4 pound. My 1 quart Gatorade bottle and platypus 2.4 liter bladder together weigh less than 4 oz. I love my camelbaks for day trips but prefer not to use them on long trips. If you really want the hydration tube you may be able to find a lighter bladder system.

      Bear canister Garcia Backpacker's Cache
      The Bearvault cans seam more popular and are little lighter. The Bearikade can is over 1/2 lb lighter but quite a bit more expensive.

       Snap

      On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Michael <malapp1@...> wrote:

      We are preparing for our John Muir Trail adventure. We are both in our early 50's and have never done anything like this before. We are inspired by many things and can't wait for the opportunity.

      So far, we have accumulated most of the items we believe we need. Following is a list of our equipment. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

      Tent Sierra Designs Lightning HT2
      Foot print Sierra Designs
      Sleeping bags Sierra Designs Pyro Maniac 15/30
      Sleeping pads Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite
      Backpack REI Flash 65
      Trekking poles Likki Trail Trekking Poles
      Shoes Merrell Chameleon 4
      Water Purifier SteriPEN Freedom
      Bladder Osprey Hydraulics Reservoir - 3 Liter
      Headlamp Princeton Tec Remix Pro
      Stove Jet Boil SOL
      Battery Charger Insta Pack Mercury 45
      Bear canister Garcia Backpacker's Cache
      Camera Samsung Galaxy 4G 21x zoom, 18 megapixel

      So far, without food but with water, my pack is at 24.83 pounds and Susana's is at 18.42. This includes clothing and misc. items.

    • Frank D
      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 16, 2013
        Talking about tarps can be confusing on a Nubee thread. When someone says tarp they may mean a flat tarp or they may be talking about a fully enclosed single wall shelter or something in between. The term tarp-tent is often used to describe something between a shaped tarp and a traditional double walled tent. My perspective comes from being old enough to remember when none of our tents had floors, bug netting or double walls. A tarp was a flat piece of canvas.

        Their are trade offs with the different types. Generally the closer one gets to a flat tarp the more knowledge and experience is needed, but there can be considerable weight savings. The free standing double wall tent is easier to use, but heavier.

        Snap

        On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM, casey <casey.cox@...> wrote:

        I prefer to take my tarp during bug season. When set up in an "A" frame using both my trekking poles, with either screen doors or using a space blanket on one end as a solid door. The tarp is 8 1/2 ft. by 11 ft. made of cuben fiber and weighs 7 ounces. With the screen doors, space blanket, alligator clips to attach them, six titanium stakes, and a cuben fiber groundcloth the total weight is about 10 ounces. The screen doors are made from salvaged mosquito netting from a screen room. A space blanket fits perfectly as a storm door.

        This gives me a shelter (with doors attached) with a square footage in excess of 50 sq. ft. Much larger than a two person tent, plenty of room to cook, relax, or wait out a storm with all my gear inside a mosquito proof shelter. The tarp, screen doors, and space blanket storm door all stuff into a stuff bag made for an Exped Synmat UL-7, about the size of a one liter water bottle.

        I urge you to experiment a bit with setting up a tarp. This is something you can save a lot of weight on and also increase your comfort level by having more room. Use an inexpensive plastic tarp or some rolled plastic, 3 mil or better, to compare with the size of your tent. The tarp I use was made by zpacks, also use a Hexamid Solo Plus made by them. I carry the tent when I don't expect to need a shelter