Hitting the Trail

  • debrabrownbear
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2013
      My husband and I are through-hiking north to south, starting in Tuolumne Meadows on August 11th. Hoping to catch a clear night on the 12th for the Perseid meteor shower. I have been following all the posts for a couple of months now, and want to thank the moderators and contributors for the treasure trove of information and advice. We are planning for 26 days. I'd really like to finish. Here's why...

      Twenty years ago, I planned a one-day hike with my boyfriend to the summit of Mt. Whitney from Whitney Portal. We were young and fit and in love. Unfortunately, I had just returned from a business trip to Mexico, and felt lousy. I ignored my intestines, and we rose at 3am and began our hike in the dark. The higher we climbed, the sicker I became (of course). I was ready to admit defeat, when the sun rose, and I spied what looked like a ring box in the front pocket of my boyfriend's hiking shorts. I thought, oh my God, he's going to ask me to marry him on the summit! Excitement spurred me on. I had to make it. But after another half mile I was so ill, I simply couldn't go on. I felt defeated. I waited a moment before turning around, but no proposal materialized. Maybe I'd been wrong. We headed back to the portal, where I slept the rest of the day. I awoke feeling a lot better. At sunset, while relaxing beside Lone Pine Creek with a couple of beers I had planned to unveil on the summit of Mt. Whitney, James asked me to marry him. We've enjoyed miles and miles of hiking since then, but never went back to try again. This year, I want to say Happy 20th Anniversary above 14,000'. Wish us luck!

      Hope to see some of you on the trail. I'll have my pin on.

      Debra
      debrabrownbear@...
    • Gail
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2013
        Great story. Best of luck!

        Gail

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "debrabrownbear" <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I are through-hiking north to south, starting in Tuolumne Meadows on August 11th. Hoping to catch a clear night on the 12th for the Perseid meteor shower. I have been following all the posts for a couple of months now, and want to thank the moderators and contributors for the treasure trove of information and advice. We are planning for 26 days. I'd really like to finish. Here's why...
        >
        > Twenty years ago, I planned a one-day hike with my boyfriend to the summit of Mt. Whitney from Whitney Portal. We were young and fit and in love. Unfortunately, I had just returned from a business trip to Mexico, and felt lousy. I ignored my intestines, and we rose at 3am and began our hike in the dark. The higher we climbed, the sicker I became (of course). I was ready to admit defeat, when the sun rose, and I spied what looked like a ring box in the front pocket of my boyfriend's hiking shorts. I thought, oh my God, he's going to ask me to marry him on the summit! Excitement spurred me on. I had to make it. But after another half mile I was so ill, I simply couldn't go on. I felt defeated. I waited a moment before turning around, but no proposal materialized. Maybe I'd been wrong. We headed back to the portal, where I slept the rest of the day. I awoke feeling a lot better. At sunset, while relaxing beside Lone Pine Creek with a couple of beers I had planned to unveil on the summit of Mt. Whitney, James asked me to marry him. We've enjoyed miles and miles of hiking since then, but never went back to try again. This year, I want to say Happy 20th Anniversary above 14,000'. Wish us luck!
        >
        > Hope to see some of you on the trail. I'll have my pin on.
        >
        > Debra
        > debrabrownbear@...

      • Marna
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2013
          Happy Anniversary! How wonderful to celebrate it on Mt Whitney. After 20 years of marriage, you should be able to meet any challenge together : )
          Marnie