Spot battery usage

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
      I' am planning to use a Spot 2 device to send OK messages once or twice per day but I don't plan to use continuous tracking. Is one set of lithium batteries at the start enough to get to MTR where I will send a second set of batteries? Would be interested in actual battery life experienced on the trail. Thanks.
    • Adam
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
        I used one set of fresh batteries for the entire trail, sending notifications about three times a day for 20 days or so. The batteries still had a good charge in them. I would be more worried about my headlamp batteries which lasted the entire trip, but my hiking partners had issues.

        Adam

        On Aug 7, 2013, at 3:49 AM, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

        I' am planning to use a Spot 2 device to send OK messages once or twice per day but I don't plan to use continuous tracking. Is one set of lithium batteries at the start enough to get to MTR where I will send a second set of batteries? Would be interested in actual battery life experienced on the trail. Thanks.

      • David Carbiener
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
          The SPOT will last for all the days of your trip.  Don’t worry about it, or sending extra batteries.

          Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:49 AM
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Spot battery usage

          I' am planning to use a Spot 2 device to send OK messages once or twice per day but I don't plan to use continuous tracking. Is one set of lithium batteries at the start enough to get to MTR where I will send a second set of batteries? Would be interested in actual battery life experienced on the trail. Thanks.

        • Gail
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
            I sent five Spot messages while I was out and left the Spot on for about 25 minutes each time (with tracking turned off). Plus I sent several test messages from home before I left. So I estimate I used the batteries for about 3 hours total, no problems. I have extra unused lithium batteries that I'll be happy to send you (no charge) if you want them (my Spot was rented and I have no use for the extra batteries now). Write to me off board with your address if you want me to send them.

            Gail

            > I' am planning to use a Spot 2 device to send OK messages once or twice per day but I don't plan to use continuous tracking. Is one set of lithium batteries at the start enough to get to MTR where I will send a second set of batteries? Would be interested in actual battery life experienced on the trail. Thanks.

          • casey
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
              I sent an O.K. message every evening of my trip when I camped. Did keep a close eye on it and would shut it off once it showed the message had been sent. The batteries lasted the whole trip, 18 days.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
                Did all of your messages go through? Mine did, but I made sure to leave the Spot on for at least 20 minutes AFTER it said it was sending (the directions say to do that, because that's how long it potentially takes for the satellite to pass overhead). For the first few nights I happened to be camping in the same places as a woman from Canada who was also using a Spot but not leaving it on for 20 minutes. When we each picked up our resupply packages in TM there was a note on hers to call home immediately - her mother was worried because she had not received a Spot message... I thought this was because she'd turned hers off too soon.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
                  When only the "on" light and the "envelope" light were flashing I would shut it off. All of my messages went through.
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:

                  > Did all of your messages go through? Mine did, but I made sure to leave the Spot on for at least 20 minutes AFTER it said it was sending (the directions say to do that, because that's how long it potentially takes for the satellite to pass overhead). For the first few nights I happened to be camping in the same places as a woman from Canada who was also using a Spot but not leaving it on for 20 minutes. When we each picked up our resupply packages in TM there was a note on hers to call home immediately - her mother was worried because she had not received a Spot message... I thought this was because she'd turned hers off too soon.
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "casey" <casey.cox@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I sent an O.K. message every evening of my trip when I camped. Did keep a close eye on it and would shut it off once it showed the message had been sent. The batteries lasted the whole trip, 18 days.
                  > >
                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I sent five Spot messages while I was out and left the Spot on for about 25 minutes each time (with tracking turned off). Plus I sent several test messages from home before I left. So I estimate I used the batteries for about 3 hours total, no problems. I have extra unused lithium batteries that I'll be happy to send you (no charge) if you want them (my Spot was rented and I have no use for the extra batteries now). Write to me off board with your address if you want me to send them.
                  > > >
                  > > > Gail

                • Ray Rippel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
                    Let me offer a different approach, albeit one that requires a few more batteries. I keep my SPOT on (and sending location info every ten minutes) from the time I leave camp until I arrive at a new camp--probably about twelve hours a day. I do that for a couple of reasons: first, should something happen where I am unconscious, my wife can see that I haven't moved for a long time and notify rescuers. More importantly, I send the link out to lots of friends who track me as I wander down the JMT. This is really the main reason I take the SPOT. It involves them in the hike, gets them excited about the outdoors & backpacking, make me feel like I not alone even though I'm walking solo, and provides me an extra bit of motivation since so many folks are watching. (For those of you who are not familiar with the way this works, your location is plotted on a Google map that people can refer to at their convenience.)

                    Using the SPOT this way I put in new batteries every three or four days.

                    One last note: if you are going to use it this way please do two more things that I do: make sure the SPOT is secured very well onto your pack and, once secured, attach a "dummy cord" from the SPOT to another point on your pack. Otherwise, if you were to accidentally lose the device, you could trigger a rescue for no reason.

                    Good hiking ,Ray

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013
                      On the Spot One, at least, there was a light pattern that warned of low battery. The usual green light over the OK button turns red when the battery has "only" 30% of power left.

                      I have used my current set of batteries for probably something exceeding 90 days and haven't gotten to the warning lights yet. I usually send about 3 OK messages per day, but don't leave it on.while backpacking. However, while kayaking on SF Bay I leave it on for about 4-6 hours at a time (good views of the skies so it is not working hard) and my 90 days of use probably includes at least 30 while kayaking.

                      So I think you could even start a JMT with the red light blinking.