Can anyone do the JMT?

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 6, 2013
      When I was on the JMT (7/13-7/30), I had a curious observation. There were all sorts of people on the JMT. This wasn't just a trail for young people, this wasn't just a trail for highly trained or very fit people, this wasn't just a trail for very experienced backpackers. No, there were all sorts of people on the JMT. A few observations:

      There were people of all ages. I hiked on/off for several days with a father son where the son looked to be about 14-16. I regularly saw a group of four college kids. I also saw many people who looked like they were in their 40s and 50s and several gentlemen who looked quite a bit older than that (e.g. perhaps in their 60s). I happen to be 55 myself.

      There were a couple women (probably in their mid-40s), not in good shape at all and doing the JMT together for the fourth time. Their plan was for 25 days (8-9 miles/day) and they were a day or two ahead of that plan when I talked to them. They looked like they loved it.

      There were a surprising number of solo female hikers of all ages. Some were super fit and zooming past many other groups. Some were just regular, off the street adventurers taking their time. There were plenty of solo male hikers too - I was surprised how many people did this solo (I did the 2nd half solo - but only because the rest of my group left the trail at MTR - not planned that way).

      I saw one ultra-marathon runner between VVR and Red's Meadow (going NOBO). She had almost no equipment and wasn't interested in talking to us so she was either running just a single segment or was supported at her stopping points. We saw several runners going from Tuolumne down to the Valley (22 mile downhill run).

      So ... does this mean anyone can do the JMT? Without lots of prior experience and without being particularly fit?

      I actually think the answer is probably "yes they can". While the JMT is the most physically demanding thing I've ever done, if you prepare appropriately, plan for an appropriate pace for your strength and stamina, can avoid injury and just have enough determination to keep working toward your goal, this trail can be done by a wide variety of people if planned appropriately and if you stay healthy.

      Notice, I didn't say that anyone can just pick up a backpack and go and be successful. And, you will seriously increase your odds of being successful if you do train and get yourself in shape. But, this trip takes some serious planning. Plenty of people quit/bail before the end. You need the right equipment (I had 6 days of rain that really tested both my determination and my equipment), the right food (I'm quite convinced that one major reason people leave the trail is that they aren't getting appropriate food so they feel terrible), the ability to take care of things (like your feet, your hygiene, your water, your clothes), smarts and preparation to know what to do when something goes wrong, etc...

      I regularly saw a father/son from Indiana (son looked like late 20's) who were doing the trail at the same pace I was (18 days), but they had planned for fewer days than that. As a consequence, they didn't have a big enough bear container coming out of MTR to hold enough food for the last segment and they had plane flights home that were too soon. They had tried to keep to the planned pace, but just couldn't do it. As a consequence, they left the trail at Kearsarge Pass and missed the last 2-3 days. They were capable of finishing the JMT, but their planning didn't align with their abilities.

      I also know several people who bailed from the JMT at MTR. Of the people I know, it's not because they couldn't continue - it's because they didn't want to continue. The day-to-day enjoyment of the terrain and the amazing scenery and the sense of accomplishment each day brings simply did not exceed the challenge and toil of each day for them. Obviously, there are people who stop because of injury or sickness too.

      So ... my conclusion - if you plan appropriately and can stay healthy (including handling the altitude) and have the drive to stick with it, it's somewhat surprising (to me) how many people can do the JMT.
      I also live in Houston and have been section hiking the JMT for the last two years and do my last section leaving Wednesday. I do 90 floors of stairs per day
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 12, 2013
        I also live in Houston and have been section hiking the JMT for the last two years and do my last section leaving Wednesday. I do 90 floors of stairs per day to get in shape for the hills. It will help if you have your pack on when you do the stairs to work on your legs. I also ride a bike 5 to 6 hours a week for cardio. The stairs will make a big difference on the hills. Good luck!