Looking for ride to Yosemite on Mon 8/12 or please help me with transit options!

  • passanis80
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
      Hello. I would greatly appreciate a ride to Yosemite on Monday 8/12 from the SF Bay Area. I'm happy to share fuel expenses.

      Failing that, I'd love to better understand my other transportation options. I reviewed the great information posted in the Transportation folder by John Ladd and have compiled the following data. I would love feedback on any ways to optimize the itinerary (I have the option to depart from San Jose, but that option doesn't appear to have advantages over SF). I do have a car and while I'm concerned about leaving it parked for 2 weeks, I'm open to the idea if it simplifies my plans. FYI, I plan to queue for a permit when I arrive, anticipating that I will not be able to start until the day after my arrival (unless I'm really lucky and get a permit in the afternoon).

      Thank you! :-)

      SF to Yosemite:

      – BART SF Civic Center to Richmond (or bus if strike): 6:51 AM –> 7:30 AM for $5
      – AMTRAK 712 San Joaquin Richmond to Merced: 7:49 AM –> 10:31 AM for $25
      – YARTS Merced to Yosemite: 11:00 AM –> 1:20 PM for $13

      TOTAL SF Civic Center to Yosemite: 6:51 AM –> 1:20 PM for $43

      OR GotoBus.com SF Fisherman's Wharf to Yosemite: 7:00 AM –> 1:45 PM for $95

      Yosemite to SF:

      – ESTA Lone Pine to Bishop to Mammoth Lakes Shilo: 5:00 PM –> 7:10 PM for $14
      – Camp at Mammoth Lakes (or ESTA Lone Pine 6:15 AM to Mammoth Lakes Shilo 8:10 AM)
      – YARTS Mammoth Lakes Shilo to Yosemite Visitor Center: 8:30 AM –> 12:05 PM $18
      – YARTS Yosemite Visitor Center to Merced: 4:00 PM –> 6:15 PM for $13
      – AMTRAK 717 San Joaquin Merced to Richmond: 6:42 PM –> 9:22 PM for $24
      – BART Richmond to SF Civic Center: 9:35 PM –> 10:16 PM for $5

      TOTAL Lone Pine to SF Civic Center: 5:00 PM previous day (or 6:15 AM) –> 10:16 PM for $74
    • longritchie
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
        "I do have a car and while I'm concerned about leaving it parked for 2 weeks, I'm open to the idea if it simplifies my plans."

        It will definately simplify your plans. A car is the best way to get to Yosemite (or Whitney Portal). If it's clean and empty you're not taking a big chance with it. It will get dusty though.

        The last time I walked between those two points I left a car at the Portal a week before we started. A week later we drove another car to Yosemite and started walking. We spent three weeks in the backcountry so one car was in the Valley for three weeks and the other one was at the Portal for four weeks. It was so nice not to have to hitchhike.

        If I were you I'd drive to Yosemite. That way you can go straight to the wilderness office and get in line at 4am or whatever it takes these days to get a permit for the JMT in August.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
          Thanks for the reply. Is there a charge for parking?

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2013

            On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM, passanis80 <sean.passanisi@...> wrote:

            osemite to SF:

            – ESTA Lone Pine to Bishop to Mammoth Lakes Shilo: 5:00 PM –> 7:10 PM for $14
            – Camp at Mammoth Lakes (or ESTA Lone Pine 6:15 AM to Mammoth Lakes Shilo 8:10 AM)
            – YARTS Mammoth Lakes Shilo to Yosemite Visitor Center: 8:30 AM –> 12:05 PM $18
            – YARTS Yosemite Visitor Center to Merced: 4:00 PM –> 6:15 PM for $13
            – AMTRAK 717 San Joaquin Merced to Richmond: 6:42 PM –> 9:22 PM for $24
            – BART Richmond to SF Civic Center: 9:35 PM –> 10:16 PM for $5

            This part sounds too complicated to me if you have the option of leaving a car at Yosemite. I have NOT heard of any car damage problems (other than cars with food left in them), there's no charge for the parking and a large longterm lot pretty close to Happy Isles trailhead (with a shuttle bus stop available to other points)

          • passanis80
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2013
              Thanks for the feedback, John. I have decided to drive and park.

              In terms of getting from Whitney Portal back to my car at Happy Isles, is there any better way than the ESTA through Mammoth Lakes (other than finding a ride)?

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2013

                On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM, passanis80 <sean.passanisi@...> wrote:

                n terms of getting from Whitney Portal back to my car at Happy Isles, is there any better way than the ESTA through Mammoth Lakes (other than finding a ride)?

                Probably not. Hitching on the East Side is a lot better than anywhere west of Lee Vining, but the ESTA option is probably the best