Re: Possible fire near Lake Edison

  • Chris

      When a big fire reaches over 70% containment, there are a lot of interesting crux moves, and the fire crews make important tactical maneuvers that can take the fire from 70% containment to 100% containment in just a few days. This fire has been very stubborn... it burned uncontrolled for weeks, but it will be contained very quickly this week.

      Smoke:
      Despite what I wrote yesterday, based on a better understanding of where they will be back-burning on the South Edge, I anticipate a smaller and shorter pulse of smoke production over the next 2 or 3 days, with a big reduction in smoke by week's end. Then, for the next few weeks, there will be a low (and dwindling) level of smoke produced until late August or early September... something that you will be able to smell while visiting the JMT sections near VVR or MTR, but probably not enough to block views dramatically, and probably not a problem for people with respiratory problems.

      South Edge:
      Today's map shows that they started the back-burning along the steep hot chaparral slopes west of Huntington Lake. This is hot difficult work. I think yesterday I overestimated the amount of land that they will need to back-burn... about 1000 acres rather than the 2000-3000 acres that I had guessed yesterday. If true, there will probably be a smaller/shorter (2-3 days) pulse of smoke the next few days, rather than a big pulse until the end of the week as I had guessed yesterday.

      East Edge:
      The east edge is nearly completely contained. It looks like there was a bit of a battle with the fire at one location along this line. If they haven't already done so, I would guess they will work very hard tonight to have this edge completely contained by tomorrow morning. This is a huge accomplishment, as this edge was very stubborn during the whole course of the fire, and there will be a big reduction in smoke produced in this area.

      Southeast edge:
      Like I said yesterday, I think they will let the fire burn up into the high-elevation sub-alpine forest in the Kaiser Wilderness. It will skunk around through 3000 more acres of forest before reaching the rocky alpine zone where it will run out of fuel to burn. How long this will take depends on the type of forest vegetation and whether they actively suppress the fire in that region, but I imagine it will take at least a week or two. They will probably call this fire 100% contained by the end of this week, even though there will still be forest burning in the Wilderness Area for another week or two after that.

      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3552/

      Chris.

      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 10, 2013
        On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Chris <cehauser1@...> wrote:

        This morning they posted what they are saying is the final fire update for the Aspen Fire. For that reason, I'll call this report my final report too. (Also, I'm leaving for my JMT hike this Friday, so the timing is good.)

        Chris - Thanks for the great reports,