fans of lara bars -- trail food

  • Jo T
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
      Well, I'm still fine tuning my menu for my JMT trip that is only 4 weeks away. But if any of you are a fan of Lara bars and not too picky about flavors, I just got a box of 16 bars at Big Lots for $8.00. As steal if you normally buy them. The cheapest I've been able to find is at Target, usually 5 bars for $5. The flavor is Ginger Snap -- so not one you would find at Target or Henry's or the like...but it was good. What I like about Lara bars are that they have no extra ingredients (you know, the ones you can't identify or recognize as being real food), they're not overly sweet and they are easier for me to eat on the trail than trail mix (and seem to digest better.)

      Since Big Lots supplies vary and are inconsistent, I may try another location to pick up another box.

      Now, if only the Costco down here still sold Honest Earth mashed potatoes -- I would be sitting pretty. Envious of fellow Costco-ers in Seattle and Hawaii -- who (according to company reps) apparently still have access. The cheapest ones I could find online was about $24.00 ($17 plus $7 shipping at yourfoodstore.com). Yikes!

      Happy Hiking!
      JoT.

    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
        Well done, Jo. That's cheaper than I can get them at the commissary ($0.89)!

        .