Re: Got a stomach infection on the trail.. not sure from where..

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 11:35 AM
      I'm betting on one of three options:
      1-drinking or eating something that was tainted with horse or mule crap.
      2-hygiene issues and/or #1 added to the cause.
      3-food poisoning from any number of stops you may have made,ie; Reds, VVR. ect.

      There was one time I ate at VVR and about lost my cheeseburger when I saw the cooks hands AFTER I already ate my meal! They were filthy and he had dirt embedded under his nails. That was many years ago, and it is one reason I pass on VVR, YMMV.

      As a side note, just because your water comes from a clear flowing creek doesn't make it safer than lake water. In fact, the top layer of lake water that is exposed to UV light is safer for consumption bases on studies of untreated water. I doubt you got it from water, unless you drank it unfiltered downstream from where the hooved locusts, (horses), have been.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "James" <mcpuddin@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I was on the JMT from July 15 - July 30. If you were there, I carried a washboard on me playing some music.
      >
      > I unfortunately had to exit 2 days early at Kersarge because of stomach pains and malnutrition for 5 days. I just got my test results back and I was positive for "Campylobacter jejuni".
      >
      > Anyone ever get that before?
      >
      > Any tips to avoid that again?
      >
      > Anyone have some hypothesi of where I got it? Im thinking food poisioning at one of the Cafes, Blaney Hot Springs ( too many people washing their bums in there ), Jumping in the non super flowing rivers to bathe, Eating too many raw onions without washing them with clean water.

    • kellymelissaray
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6 8:24 PM
        You've probably done your own research on this, but in case the general masses are interested, here is what the CDC says about how campylobacter is spread:

        "... Most cases of campylobacteriosis are associated with eating raw or undercooked poultry meat or from cross-contamination of other foods by these items. Outbreaks of Campylobacter have most often been associated with unpasteurized dairy products, contaminated water, poultry, and produce. Animals can also be infected, and some people get infected from contact with the stool of an ill dog or cat. The organism is not usually spread from one person to another, but this can happen if the infected person is producing a large volume of diarrhea.

        Many chicken flocks are infected with Campylobacter but show no signs of illness. Campylobacter can be easily spread from bird to bird through a common water source or through contact with infected feces. ...

        Unpasteurized milk can become contaminated if the cow has an infection with Campylobacter in her udder or if the milk is contaminated with manure. Surface water and mountain streams can become contaminated from infected feces from cows or wild birds. ..."
        (the above is from http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/campylobacter/)

        So, if you don't recall getting an swig of water in your mouth while swimming/bathing....I'd lean toward it being from a cafe. (It's not likely that you'd get sick due to any sort of "back door" exposure.)

        As for avoiding in the future, the only things I can suggest are the obvious: make sure any food or fluids entering your mouth have been thoroughly treated or cooked, and wash your hands before you eat. Of course, that's easier said than done. If I had the opportunity to eat some fresh fruits/veggies while on the trail, I probably wouldn't pass them up!

        Bummer luck. Glad you were able to get off trail and get some care.