Shipping MTR Resupply from Merced?

  • shaggyat12
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2013
      Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I am arriving by train into Merced on August 11th. I was planning on shipping out my resupplies tomorrow, and I figured out I can save over $35 on shipping if I mail my MTR resupply out from the Merced post office that Monday morning. With Priority 2-Day Shipping that puts my package at the Lakeshore post office on the 14th. My planned arrival date at MTR is August 24. Would this be risky, or would be OK since it is getting shipped a relatively short distance?
    • Deborah Rhoton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2013
        Way too risky, IMO. I would mail your resupply STAT!!  MTR only picks up twice a week I believe.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Aug 4, 2013, at 10:01 PM, "shaggyat12" <gunn.joseph@...> wrote:

        Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I am arriving by train into Merced on August 11th. I was planning on shipping out my resupplies tomorrow, and I figured out I can save over $35 on shipping if I mail my MTR resupply out from the Merced post office that Monday morning. With Priority 2-Day Shipping that puts my package at the Lakeshore post office on the 14th. My planned arrival date at MTR is August 24. Would this be risky, or would be OK since it is getting shipped a relatively short distance?

      • john_friend
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2013
          My resupply package took 2 days from the SF Bay Area to LakeShore. In reality, USPS priority shipping seems to take 2-4 days depending upon circumstances. The key is not so much the USPS transit time, but the MTR pickup days. I think they only pick up on Wednesdays so you have to make absolutely sure you don't miss the Wednesday before delivery. Mailing out on a Monday DOES NOT guarantee that it's there for the next Wednesday so the whole thing could be delayed a whole week until the following Wednesday. I personally wouldn't risk my whole trip for a savings of $35.

          --John

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2013
            On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM, shaggyat12 <gunn.joseph@...> wrote:
            getting shipped a relatively short distance?

            I'd also say risky. Delays more likely near the Eastern end of the routing, so starting in Merced might not help much