Aspen Fire and Mammoth

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2013
      I just made the drive up from So Cal to Mammoth Lakes, arriving at about 2:30pm today. Visibility was great coming up the Owens Valley with only a tinge of smoke in the high altitude sky. I was very relieved.

      However, once I crested the Sherwin Grade on Hwy 395 north of Bishop, I saw the plume of smoke rising over the Mammoth Crest and drifting NE into the basin. Yuk! It didn't take long for me to feel the slight irritation in my throat, but the folks here at my hotel say that today is better than in days past. They added that mornings are clearer.

      Smoke or no smoke, I'm set and committed to hit the trail SOBO from TM tomorrow morning 8/5!!!!

      Hope to see some of you out there ... I'll be sporting my pin!

      John M.