Re: Smoke In Yosemite From Fires

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
      I also ran in to Jim White and his family going up the switchbacks by Sunrise Creek. He is a fellow JMT Yahoo-er.

      FWIW, some small creeks were starting to run dry, but Sunrise is spring fed and still flowing, if anyone needs water fill up info for that section. There is also a spring that is still running strong on the downhill switchbacks going down to TM.

      > I just finished a 70+ mile convoluted loop hike in the TM, Vogelsang, Isberg Pass, Red Peak Pass, and Merced River area of Yosemite. We exited via the JMT at TM. The smoke from the forest fires was pretty nasty early in the mornings as it settled into the valleys, but usually improved as the breezes picked up and carried it generally eastward. We would wake up thinking someone had a campfire going near us! But would look out and see the thick haze. Be careful if you have any respiratory conditions.

    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
        Good day, Robert,

        Any chance you could pinpoint on Google or Bing maps the approximate location of the spring that feeds Sunrise Creek?

        Thanks, Ray

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
          I could if I was more of a techie;) There are several small springs that feed the creek, with a very obvious smaller one right off the trail on your way up the steeper climb before the crest that drops you down to Sunrise High Sierra Camp. If you are hiking towards TM, it is bubbling out on your left hand side. There are other larger ones off the trail to your right on the same section of switchbacks, all are fairly easy to find, as you will notice the creek 'peters out' near the top of this climb, but still flows regardless of the snow being long gone from its drainage. I don't know if that is any help, or not? I'll try and play around with Google Maps and see how to post an attachment if I get the chance.

          The map coordinates are roughly 418300N, 283750E on the Tom Harrison Yosemite High Country Map.

          The other spring is also right on the trail on the down the switchbacks about a mile past the Lower Cathedral Lake Jct., but by then most people aren't thinking of water, they have a cheeseburger in mind at the TM Grill!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

          > Good day, Robert,
          >
          > Any chance you could pinpoint on Google or Bing maps the approximate
          > location of the spring that feeds Sunrise Creek?
          >
          > Thanks, Ray

        • Dittli-Goethals
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
            The small spring on the left, never have seen it dry.

            John

            --
            John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
            John Dittli Photography

            2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
              On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
              There are several small springs that feed the creek, with a very obvious smaller one right off the trail on your way up the steeper climb before the crest that drops you down to Sunrise High Sierra Camp. If you are hiking towards TM, it is bubbling out on your left hand side.

              John/Robert --

              Maybe just above and to the right of the '3' on the map below. If so, it is near Wenk campsite 1.16, which she describes as "to the east of creek beneath hemlocks and a few lodgepole pines; excellent views "

              NAD27 (used on the TH JMT maps) coordinates should be about 11S 285 567E 4185 010N

              Wenk gives her 1.16 Campsite NAD27 coordinates of 11S 285 635E 4184 995N

              Inline image 1

              Google maps link would be

              If link does not work, paste into a browser

              https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893

              Sure looks like a spring on the map though it isn't labeled as such. If it's the one you mean, it feeds into Cathedral Fork of the Merced rather than into Sunrise Creek

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                Hi John. That's the wrong spot. If you follow the trail back in a southwesterly direction where it crosses Sunrise Creek around 8600', and see where the zig-zag of the switchbacks start, the spring on the left of the trail is right at the beginning of those switchbacks. Its easy to miss if you're focused on the climb, but it is great tasting unfiltered water! There are others along that section that feed Sunrise Creek as well. There is also water in the creek that you mentioned as well, but it is running pretty low as of last week.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                  OK - found it, I think. Wenk has a campsite there also - her 1.12. She shows the campsite as

                  11S 284015E 4182454N (NAD27)

                  and describes it as "large opening in dense forest alongside Sunrise Creek" elevation is 8600

                  On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                  Hi John. That's the wrong spot. If you follow the trail back in a southwesterly direction where it crosses Sunrise Creek around 8600', and see where the zig-zag of the switchbacks start, the spring on the left of the trail is right at the beginning of those switchbacks. Its easy to miss if you're focused on the climb, but it is great tasting unfiltered water! There are others along that section that feed Sunrise Creek as well. There is also water in the creek that you mentioned as well, but it is running pretty low as of last week.

                  > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > There are several small springs that feed the creek, with a very obvious
                  > > smaller one right off the trail on your way up the steeper climb before the
                  > > crest that drops you down to Sunrise High Sierra Camp. If you are hiking
                  > > towards TM, it is bubbling out on your left hand side.
                  >

                  > John/Robert --
                  >
                  > Maybe just above and to the right of the '3' on the map below. If so, it is
                  > near Wenk campsite 1.16, which she describes as "to the east of creek
                  > beneath hemlocks and a few lodgepole pines; excellent views "
                  >
                  > NAD27 (used on the TH JMT maps) coordinates should be about 11S 285
                  > 567E 4185 010N
                  >
                  > Wenk gives her 1.16 Campsite NAD27 coordinates of 11S 285 635E 4184 995N
                  >

                  > [image: Inline image 1]
                  >
                  > Google maps link would be
                  >
                  > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
                  >
                  > If link does not work, paste into a browser
                  >
                  > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
                  >
                  > Sure looks like a spring on the map though it isn't labeled as such. If
                  > it's the one you mean, it feeds into Cathedral Fork of the Merced rather
                  > than into Sunrise Creek
                  >
                  > John Curran Ladd
                  > 1616 Castro Street
                  > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                  > 415-648-9279

                • Ray Rippel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                    Thanks!

                    On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:31 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

                    OK - found it, I think. Wenk has a campsite there also - her 1.12. She shows the campsite as

                    11S 284015E 4182454N (NAD27)

                    and describes it as "large opening in dense forest alongside Sunrise Creek" elevation is 8600

                    On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                    Hi John. That's the wrong spot. If you follow the trail back in a southwesterly direction where it crosses Sunrise Creek around 8600', and see where the zig-zag of the switchbacks start, the spring on the left of the trail is right at the beginning of those switchbacks. Its easy to miss if you're focused on the climb, but it is great tasting unfiltered water! There are others along that section that feed Sunrise Creek as well. There is also water in the creek that you mentioned as well, but it is running pretty low as of last week.

                    > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > There are several small springs that feed the creek, with a very obvious
                    > > smaller one right off the trail on your way up the steeper climb before the
                    > > crest that drops you down to Sunrise High Sierra Camp. If you are hiking
                    > > towards TM, it is bubbling out on your left hand side.
                    >

                    > John/Robert --
                    >
                    > Maybe just above and to the right of the '3' on the map below. If so, it is
                    > near Wenk campsite 1.16, which she describes as "to the east of creek
                    > beneath hemlocks and a few lodgepole pines; excellent views "
                    >
                    > NAD27 (used on the TH JMT maps) coordinates should be about 11S 285
                    > 567E 4185 010N
                    >
                    > Wenk gives her 1.16 Campsite NAD27 coordinates of 11S 285 635E 4184 995N
                    >

                    > [image: Inline image 1]
                    >
                    > Google maps link would be
                    >
                    > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
                    >
                    > If link does not work, paste into a browser
                    >
                    > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
                    >
                    > Sure looks like a spring on the map though it isn't labeled as such. If
                    > it's the one you mean, it feeds into Cathedral Fork of the Merced rather
                    > than into Sunrise Creek
                    >
                    > John Curran Ladd
                    > 1616 Castro Street
                    > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                    > 415-648-9279

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                      There is a campsite right at the Sunrise Creek crossing, but not near the springs. The springs are about a half mile past the creek crossing. There is a fairly steep uphill grade that roughly parallels Sunrise Creek for awhile past the crossing. You'll notice the lush vegetation in the narrow drainage and before you start the usually hot, exposed switchbacks away from the creek, you will see the small spring. If there is a campsite there I didn't see it, and it is not a real flat area for a decent site.

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                        Ray, John - It is somewhere between 9000' and 9200', left of the trail in an embankment of sorts. I don't use a GPS so I don't have the exact coordinates, but that should put you 'in the ballpark' for anyone to find it if they are looking.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                          Thanks for working with me on this. I use an altimeter so that should find it for me, together with the topography and vegetation. If I'm not too tired, springs usually kind of leap out visually..

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                            Here, I think - seems to match your description for elevation, distance from the Creek crossing and the elevation and just before the switchbacks start.

                            https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.772585,-119.445339&spn=0.003651,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893

                            Would be

                            11s 284 606E  4183 280N (NAD27) for anyone followng this thread

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                              That is pretty darn close John! Hopefully for anyone needing to tank up before the last climb, this will help, thanks!