Larry Conn

  • scriv.ener
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2013
      Last October, just as the first storms closed in on the Sierra, Larry Conn went solo hiking and climbing in the Taboose/Split Mountain area. When he was overdue, his car was found at the base of Taboose Creek, but no further sign despite weeks of searching. This June, the expected result, the recovery of human remains, interestingly near the top of the very pass which could have offered a way to safety, and interestingly with a cell phone near by.

      http://yubanet.com/regional/Remains-recovered-in-Sequoia-National-Park---Might-be-hiker-missing-since-October.php#.Uf5qcm02PCV

      My reading of the map suggests that if his camp was at 11,500', then it was to the south of the pass, perhaps near a cluster of lakes and apparent tarns.

      The search narrowed when his shoe was found, much like Pete Starr's recovery when his cigarette trail was followed.

      I hadn't seen any earlier notice on this site of this follow up to the October/November stories, so please forgive me if I'm duplicating old news. Too, I haven't seen on the web any other follow up or other specifics, such as condition of his camp (other than "windblown"). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do recall that when winter hit that area this last fall it came on quickly and strongly, but that the forecast had been out for days.

      ~ Jeffrey
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2013
        To answer you questions:

        The camp from my understanding was found NE of the pass. The storm came in a day earlier than forecasted. It was rather intense but not unusual and certainly survivable given Larry's experience and equipment.

        The investigation is ongoing.

        JD